x

The Best BBQ Delivered to You!

Sign up here for Steven’ Raichlen’s weekly Up in Smoke e-newsletter (and get a free ‘Best Burgers’ e-book!).

Menu

News & Information

Rotisserie Chicken

GUESS WHAT’S UNDER THE HOOD?

French King Henri IV promised a chicken in every pot. I prefer my bird in a kettle grill–preferably on the rotisserie amid swirling clouds of cherry smoke.

SMOKING WEBER KETTLE
I call the technique spit-smoking, and it gives you a double bang for the buck: the slow, gentle rotation required for a supernaturally moist chicken and the intense wood flavor you’d get in a smoker. I keep the seasonings simple–three of my favorite rubs are below. It’s all about the bird.

ROTISSERIED CHICKEN.jpg

And now, here are those rub recipes I promised:

• Mediterranean: Combine 2 tablespoons each sea salt, dried rosemary, and dried oregano. Add 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns and 1 teaspoon granulated garlic.
  • West Indian: Combine 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 2 tablespoons sea salt, and 1 teaspoon each onion powder, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder; 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Scotch bonnet or habanero chili powder; and 1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme, ground allspice, ground nutmeg, and ground cinnamon.
  • Moroccan: Mix 2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt, 1 tablespoon sweet paprika, 1 teaspoon each cracked black pepper, ground coriander, and cumin; and 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, and garlic powder. Add hot pepper flakes to taste.