Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Figuring out how to spray oil.

Figuring out how to spray oil.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:50 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You want to see it get serious again real quick?

GAS RULES! :twisted:

That should do it...

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:37 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

The only thing I ever take serious around here is the food!!!! :lol:

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:01 pm
chagan well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
I think the paint sprayer is a neat idea for a commercial operation but overkill for the home firebug,

Good point, and in addition, if you already have one, you may become confused and accidentally paint your grill and oil your house

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:13 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Seriously though...

Spraying oil on a lit gril is very dangerous, as major flare-ups can occur. The paper towel method should work. If your grates are so rough that they shred a paper towel, I would say they are not clean,, and you're cooking on left-over pieces of food from previous cooks, an unpleasant thought. If you heat your grill hot enough, all the debris is reduced to ash, and is easily brushed off. I have never worked with cast iron grates, so perhaps they get pittted somehowand are therefore rough, but I know this doesn't happen to properly cared for cast iron skillets. I have never encountered this with grates of any other material. I suggest you work on getting tyour grates clean and smooth on top, even if it takes a major cleaning and re-seasoning. Then use a paper towel.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:52 am
dkirn well done
well done

My grill has cast iron grates and I use the paper towel trick to oil the grates and have no problems. I must agree that if your grates are rough you must not have clean grates. To clean the grates off each time I simply turn the grill on high for a couple of minutes and eveything turns to ash and then I brush off with a brass brush. You can also put the grates in your self cleaning oven and run it through the cleaning cycle.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:04 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
You want to see it get serious again real quick?

GAS RULES! :twisted:

That should do it...

:roll: I hardly see where anyone would take this comment even remotely seriously. :wink:

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:05 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Come to think of it YB, I too seem to be on an endless quest to find a QUALITY oil sprayer. My last one was a $10.00 aluminum one from Williams-Sonoma. I wipe my grates with a oil soaked folded papaer towel with tongs but use the oil sprayer for the food sometimes.

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:01 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

O.K. if you don’t like the paint sprayer idea, try this one:
Chapin 48 Oz. Multi-Purpose Hand Sprayer Model 1002, available at Home Depot for $7.99.
You can view it at there web site (it wouldn't let me post the link).

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:45 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry, I've already tried it and Lowes equal. Pumped it up to 100 times and all it does is squirt a pitiful stream of oil. I am, and apparently a few others, lookng for something that will atomize oil fine enough to lube a larger grill. I am trying to oil one 36" wide by 20" deep and the paper towel method doesn't work. (and my grates are CLEAN!!!)

Thanks for the info and ideas. First off, The grates ARE clean No chunks, no crud, etc..

Maybe it's just cheap paper towels falling apart.
Lately, I've been using a 3" natural bristle paintbrush to oil the grates. When done it goes back in it's zipper bag and into the freezer till next time. I keep several basting brushes frozen as well. There is a thread about it somewhere.

Rob

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:20 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

I know Yard Burner said NO PAM, but I it's always worked for me. On my charcoal grills I lift the grate with a pair of channellocks turn away and spray. On my gas grill which has a bigger grate, I use two pairs of channellocks and have my wife spray the grate.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:13 am
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

YardBurner wrote:
Maybe it's just cheap paper towels falling apart.

Maybe give these a try. http://www.kcdiy.com/RagsSpec.htm
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:26 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

YB,
Speaking of brushes, have you tried these silicone ones. They’re heat proof up to 625 degrees and they’re so easy to clean: http://www.alltvstuff.com/beb1.html

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:12 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes I have. They have worked real well so far.

I picked up a set of three different sizes at a Black and Decker outlet (of all places) in Hagerstown this winter. 6, 8, and 12" or so.
No stray bristles, no funky smell.

YB

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:25 am
Airfoils well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
YB,
Speaking of brushes, have you tried these silicone ones. They’re heat proof up to 625 degrees and they’re so easy to clean: http://www.alltvstuff.com/beb1.html

Great link. Thanks Z!

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:59 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks Any those are exactly what I was talking about earlier! They work great for soo many things. I buy them instead of paper towels all the time.

I'm going to have to look into the sillicone brushes. I'm always leery of "as seen on tv", these really work?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion