Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken Varieties

Beer Can Chicken Varieties

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:06 am
skeenbr0

I have made Beer Can Chicken with PBR before, and was impressed with the results. I was wondering what y’all thought about how much the liquid in the can will influence the flavor of the meat. Does coke actually make the meat sweeter? If I started substituting fruit juices for beer, or adding other distilled beverages to the mix (think rum and coke with a jerk rub), would it make a difference? Of course, regardless if it does or not, you still tell your guests about the variation for psychological effect, but it would be cool if you could taste the liquid in the juice. Also, is there any chance that harder booze would cause a flair up on the grill?

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:14 am
Airfoils well done
well done

From my experience, using different soda produces about the same result in lending some sweetness to the meat while using different beers has the same result if we're talking lagers which is all I have used so maybe a dark ale would be different but I doubt by much. In other words, the uniqueness of different beers and sodas seems to get lost in the cooking process. As far as using liquor, if it isn't diluted with something than yes, I suppose flames shooting out of the chickens neck is a very real possibility. :lol: Think in terms of flambe'.

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:30 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've used Jack Daniels before and did not have a volcano. Although I probably would have enjoyed it more if I did! Unless your booze boils out and hits the flame you should be fine.

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:45 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I can't vouch for the alcohol, but dinner and a show would be exciting. However, as Airfoils mentioned, sodas tend to sweeten the meat and although I’ve used a half dozen different flavors, I haven’t noticed much difference in the taste of the chicken. The rub will make a tremendous change in the flavor. I have used jerk spice, Cajun rub, and general purpose rub on coke can chicken. Each had their own distinctive flavor and all were delicious!

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:13 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I've tried various sodas, lemonade and beer. I can't really tell the difference. I think it's like the things I used to read about stereo equipment. Perhaps a dog could hear the difference between two approximately equal-priced components, but I couldn't. Maybe a professional chef or taster could tell the difference in the chickens, but I can't.

IMO, the liquid in the can is responsible for the moistness of the bird, but adds little if anything to the taste. I agree with Bob, the rub is the primary determinate of taste in these recipes.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:20 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I agree..I just made one with apple juice and liquid smoke for the liquid. I put cajun seasoning inside and rubbed some on the outside of the chicken. The chicken was extremely moist, but all of the flavor came from the seasoning and the mesquite chips that I put in a foil smoke pouch. It was delicious and done to perfection.

Pete

Return to General Discussion