Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Allspice (pimento) wood

Allspice (pimento) wood

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:30 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

On several occasions the topic of allspice or pimento wood has come up. Well, I finally have a definitive answer as to why it's not available in the U.S.

Seems in the mid to late 1800's English ladies had a hankering' for parasols made from allspice saplings. And as well all know when things get popular they always seem to go way over the top.

So, in 1882 Jamaica banned the export of allspice wood in order to save what was left.

But. Chagan, I found out in talkin' to my local Caribbean grocer leRoy.

If you soak allspice berries for a couple of hours and make up a pillow type foil pack smoker.
(Double layer of foil filled with the stink of choice folded over, sealed tightly around the edges and poke one and only one small hole in the top (acts like a smoke jet).)
You can get real close to the flavor of cooking with the wood,

He said most of the flavor comes from adding green twigs, small branches and leaves to the fire which soaked berries come real close to duplicating. It's what he uses when he caters a Jamaican gathering.

Buy them on line by the pound at your favorite spice house for the best deal. He uses about a 1/4 cup per pouch and leaves ample air space. The single hole insures that they smolder and don't ignite. Last longer that way.

So, Chagan, Bad jerk eh?

Hope this helps all.

Rob

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:32 am
chagan well done
well done

Why do you have to blame it on the nice English ladies, I hear that you have one of the largest parasol collections on the East Coast :D

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:41 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB, Steven gives a similar foil pouch tip in "How to Grill" for his Jamaican Jerk Pork. You'll see the foil pouches when I get page 3 of my pictures posted (sometime this week).

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:50 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I've been wondering about that myself lately. I have some Jamaican friends and Ive been thinking about asking them to smuggle me an allspice sapling or even a cutting to plant with rooting hormone. People bring weed from Jamaica all the time, how hard could it be to get live allspice?
Before YB hogged up all those parasols, did Allspice grow here in the states? In other words, if I went to the trouble of finding a seed, cutting, or sapling, would it grow OK in Georgia or does it need a tropical climate?
I've always bragged to people that you can't ask a barbecue question here that someone won't know. Who's got a green thumb here?
Allspice berries arent seeds are they? Anyone ever tried planting one?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion