Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion substitue for flank steak

substitue for flank steak

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:05 pm
vkb2

I make a grilled beef fajitas with flank steak but oftentimes it is sinuey. Can someone recommend another type of meat that would work as well and not be tough that I could grill.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:10 pm
chagan well done
well done

Skirt steak would be the on par for a substitute. Actually, I prefer a nice marinated skirt steak. Skirt steak is actually part of the diaphram muscle, and is quite tasty.

http://allrecipes.iwon.com/encyc/terms/F/6433.asp

HTH.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Been making mine from skirt steak. The recipe is in "How to Grill" on page 86. Photos are on page 1 of my WEB link.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:01 pm

So then skirt steak even though it's in the same part of the flank steak will be more tender?

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:45 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I take it you're looking for something other than flank? Flank steak, when marinated, grilled, and thinly sliced against the grain for fajitas is quite tender. Another trick to getting a tender piece of meat is to use a Jaccard tool which by testimony of several members of the board can make even the cheapest, toughest, sinuey meats cook up tender. If you prefer to substitute a more expensive meat for tenderness, you can marinate, grill and slice almost any cut of beef you like for fajitas. Chicken and pork also make fantastic fajitas.

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:39 am
chagan well done
well done

Guest, skirt steak is a different cut altogether. Flank steak comes from the hind quarters, while skirt steak is part of the diaphram- the muscle that is used to breath, located right under the ribs.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:03 am
dkirn well done
well done

I have trouble consistantly getting Skirt Steak from my butcher, but he recommended Flap Steak which is what he uses for Fajitas and I have been hooked ever sense. Another advantage with Flap Steak is that it is much less expensive than skirt steak and just as tasty - I just fixed some fajitas last night!

Return to General Discussion