Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Take the Vegetable Challenge!

Take the Vegetable Challenge!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:27 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Here's an idea. Is there a vegatable you don't care for? Or do you have a family member you'd like to persuade to aquire a taste for certain veggies?
Ask yourself, how could I make this taste good? Or how could I make this so my kids would even like it?
Post recipes, family feedback, and real life stories.
For starters, has anyone grilled brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, or eggplant?
I've been doing a lot of carrots lately. I didn't use to care much for 'em but they're becoming one of my favorite veggies to grill lately.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:09 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Vinsect,
I grill eggplants all the time to make Baba Ghaoush. It’s a Middle Eastern eggplant dip.
Here is the recipe:
2-3 Large eggplants
1/2 of plain yogurt
2 cloves of garlic-finely minced
1/4 cup of lemon juice-or more to taste
4 tbs of Tahini- sesame paste
1/4 of flat leaf parsley-chopped
1/4 tsp of ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil (as much as you like)
Brush the eggplants with oil and place on a hot grill. Grill until the skin is charted and the inside is very soft. Place the eggplants in a deep dish and cover them, and allow them to cool. Peal off the skin, mash the pulp, and then add the yogurt, garlic, tahini, parsley (reserve some for garnish), 2 tbs of olive oil, and the spices. Mix well, and then garnish with parsley, pickles and fresh tomatoes if you like. Drizzle the top with olive oil. It’s usually served with pita bread, and it’s excellent dip for Kebabs.

Here is another version of it without the Tahini:
2-3 Large eggplants
2 bell peppers
1/2 red onion-finely chopped
2-3 Roma tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic for roasting
1 clove of garlic-finely minced
2-3 tbs of lemon juice
2-3 tbs of pomegranate molasses
1/4 of flat leaf parsley-chopped
1/4 tsp of ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil (as much as you like)
Brush the eggplants, 11/2 bell pepper, 2 tomatoes, and 2 garlic cloves (wrap the cloves with foil) with oil and place on a hot grill. Roast the veggies until soft and the skin is charred. Place the veggies in a deep dish and cover them, and allow them to cool. Peal off the eggplants skin, and then mash the pulp. Skin the peppers and the tomatoes and cut into small strips and add to the eggplants pulp. Cut the remaining half of the bell pepper into fine pieces (this provide texture and a crunch to the dip). Mince the remaining clove of garlic and add to the mixture. Add the remaining ingredients to the eggplants mixture plus 2 tbs of olive oil. Garnish with parsley, pickles and fresh tomatoes if you like. Drizzle the top with olive oil. It’s usually served with pita bread, and it’s excellent dip for any Kebabs.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:17 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

For the Brussels sprouts,
I usually make a small cavity in them, stuff them with the same stuffing I use for stuffed jalapeños, and then wrap them with bacon and grill the same way as stuffed jalapeños. This is the kids’ version of grilled chilies, since the jalapeños are too spicy for them. I usually make one batch of chilies for the adults and one batch of sprouts for the kids.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:12 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Here's a sandwich that we make with grilled vegetables that include, zucchini, eggplant, yellow squash, green pepper and onion:

Slice the vegetables thick enough so they won't fall through the grill grate, or use a grilling basket/tray. Cut the green peppers in half, and slice the zucchini and squash lengthwise.

Put a toothpick through the side of the onion to hold it together, and don't forget to remove it before eating.

Brush all the vegetables with olive oil before grilling, add salt and pepper to taste.

Put the green pepper and onion on the grill first, because they take longer. Put the rest of the vegetables on the grill and watch closely..they cook fast (minutes). Grill to desired doneness.

Put the vegetables between your favorite bread and enjoy.

I don't care for zucchini, eggplant and yellow squash, but will eat them this way every time.

Pete

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:29 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Here's another favorite...cold pasta salad that uses grilled vegetables. We've had this recipe for years and it is always a big hit (origin unknown):

Primavera Pasta Poupon

6 tablespoons Grey Poupon Honey Mustard, divided 4 cups sliced seasonal vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, onions, carrots, eggplant).

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil

8 ounces penne pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed with cold water

Brush 4 tablespoons mustard on vegetables, Grill until tender. Blend remaining 2 tablespoons mustard, oil, vinegar and basil. Toss pasta, vegetables and mustard mixture until well combined.

Makes 4 servings

Hope you enjoy this one!! :)

Pete

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:15 pm
Chicago SP rare
rare

My wife and I successfully convinced our niece and nephew to eat asparagus by letting them in on "the great asparagus secret." If you'll pardon the expression, it makes your pee stink!! I'll spare you the details, but will tell you they giggled all evening and always eat their asparagus.

sp

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:58 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I guess I operate on the philosophy that with a lilttle olive oil, salt and pepper, I can't think of any veggie that wouldn't benefit from some time over the fire. Hmmm, having said that, okra...........Well most vegetables are grillable.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:01 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

First off: Will somebody please fix the spelling in the subject.

And yes, everything seems to be improved by wrapping it in bacon.

(I've got a whole lotta wrapin' stuff with bacon jokes but let's not go there.) :mrgreen:

I couldn't get my kids to eat any sort of squash before we started grilling it. I have to buy 2 or 3 zukes just for my 14yo son.

Slice 'em long ways in thirds, marinate in anyting with a good shot of vinegar, evoo, s+p for a an hour or so and toss 'em on the fire.

Lately Steveo's "Only mariname you'll ever need" has been Da Bomb with the kiddies.

Did I just use da bomb in a sentence? Sorry :oops:

Now we've got them trying to find veggies to incinerate. Some hits some misses. I'll keep ya posted on the hits.

Rob

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:32 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Chicago SP, that cracked me up! I'm still laughing.
Wow, there's been some really creative feedback so far. Anybody else got any stories about getting someone to like a new veggie they wouldn't otherwise have?
Is that egplant dish at all like hummus?
I'm deffinitely gonna have to try those brussel sprouts.
This group is so creative!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:08 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Yes Vinsec,
The Eggplant dish with the Tahini is exactly like Hummus, except you use eggplants instead of chickpeas. You can also use green zucchini, but you’ll have to boil them until very soft (no need to peal the skin), then mash them and follow the same directions.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:06 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We do tomatos on the grill. Slice them in half. Coat them in either olive oil, or I often use italian dressing, and put them on med-high heat skin up until they start to soften, Flip them and cover with shredded permesan and romano cheese. Once the cheese melts pull them off and enjoy. I prefer plum tomatos.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:13 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I was forced to eat brussell sprouts as a kid...now I've got to try them on the grill!

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:04 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

My girlfriend commented yesterday that she loved artichokes. I am going to attempt to grill some, using the recipe on p. 378 of "The Barbeque Bible". Only thing is, I need two grills to make this work with steaks, that or a very large grill, lol.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:09 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I always do the veggies first, that way the steaks don't wait. When they've rested, it's time to eat!

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:26 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Hooohaa2, What kind of grill do you currently have? If just a gas grill, I'd suggest grabbing a Weber Kettle Charcoal grill for your number 2 grill. Let me know how those artichokes come out. I need to try that too. I love artichokes but I think I'm the only one in my family that would eat them. All the more reason for the Vegatable Challenge. How could I prepare them so my family would like it? Usually, the biggest hurdle is just getting my wife to try something she doesn't think she would like.

Grand Scale, I've done grilled tomatoes before and they were awesome! I've mainly used Romas.
Then rebuild it better.

Next

Return to General Discussion