Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Figuring out how to spray oil.

Figuring out how to spray oil.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:36 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've tried heavy duty trigger spray bottles, pump up kitchen spray bottles (which work but kinda peter out quickly (no comments)). and the medium size top pump things that the
"EVIL ORANGE EMPIRE" sells (sorry Vinsect, I own stock too , it's just funnier that way).

Most can't pass the oil at all or won' t mist it and just splat out this weak little stream.

Any luck?

I used to keep large covered coffee can filled with and inch or so of oil. A 3" natural bristle paintbrush with the handle cut off so it would close. I would use this to lube the grates. But it picked up bits and pieces of undesirables and got funky pretty quickly.

HHHHHEEEELLLP!!!

Ideas. (NOT PAM)

Rob

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:05 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Evil Orange Empire is funnier. I'd like to find some good spray bottles that can handle thicker liquids or even mop sauces with spices.
One thing comes to mind, those plastic condiment bottles at restaurants. I guess a turkey baster would do the same thing. Maybe something squeezable with a baby-bottle nipple?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:26 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Just go to the paint section at your hardware store and pick up the cheapest paint sprayer you can find. As you all know paint is very thick and these sprayer are designed to handle thick liquids. The oil should be no problem at all for these things. I picked an electrical one at Big Lots for $20.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:41 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Yard.

Some cooking places like chefs.com or Willimas Sanoma have oil sprayers. I have been given a couple over the years, and they sort of work for oil.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:03 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've bought and been given several different types as well. At best they can put out enough oil to lube an 8" omlet pan. (don't do too bad a job with melted butter for popcorn, but a bit pesky to clean.) Solve that problem by filling with melted butter, using it, then refilling it with more, sticking a cork in the top and putting the fridge. Next time just place the container in a hot water bath to melt the butter or margerine and spray away.

What I'm looking for is just a high pressure trigger type sprayer that can mist a viscous liquid like cooking oil.

Pam's biggerst drawback is the alcohol used to thin the oil. When sprayed onto the grates while on the grill it can cause a flare up. Plus it's expensive. The paper towel thing works well on new or really clean grates but seasoned (crusty) or rough cast iron grates can shred the toweling and leave crud behind.

I think the paint sprayer is a neat idea for a commercial operation but overkill for the home firebug, no matter how fanatical. (and I'm pretty bad, and a gadget freak to boot).

Keep tossin' out the ideas folks. We'll find something that works yet. :roll:

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:28 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Yard try one of those Misto oil sprayers. They work pretty well. You pump them yourself and they do take a fair amount of pumping to get (and keep) a decent spray. But they work pretty well. I know people who keep more than one on hand and use fresh herbs and create a variety of spray oils.

Try using shop rags instead of paper towels. Clean obviously. Their sturdier than any paper towl. A box usually runs $20 or so.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:05 pm
chagan well done
well done

I like to chug a good amount of oil and spray it on using the carnival flamthrowers method. I haven't had my mouth clog yet, and there's no additional equipment to buy. You're welcome.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:46 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

All that and French too!! :wink:

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:41 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

:shock: :lol:

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:47 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My God! We left him speechless!!

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:25 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hey, can a guy take a shower without being turned into chum around here :D

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:38 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Not you chagan. GS had to revert to emoticons.

Hey, Don't You Know NOBODY Likes a Mime!

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:02 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You guys are great! A regular Abbott and Costello of the grilling world.

Or maybe the three stooges if you count me.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...wiseguys eh....whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop....

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:52 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey! Spread ouuut!! :lol:

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:08 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

And I thought this was a serious board.... :roll:

Next

Return to General Discussion