Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Last Couple of Smokes

Last Couple of Smokes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:53 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Below are some pictures from the last two weekends. Mmmm, lots of good eats.
Last weekend: ribs, baked beans, & a very small ham (not in picture).
The baked beans were delicious. My wife was going to bake them in the oven, I said why fire up the oven when the smoker is already hot.
Cooked these ribs side-by-side, the rack on the left was cooked 3-2-1 with foil and the one on the right was not wrapped and smoked for the same 6 hours. The main difference I noticed was more fat rendered out of the 3-2-1 rack. Both were very tender to the bite. The left rack was glazed with Apple-Jalapeno TPJ and the right rack was glazed with Strawberry-Habanero TPJ.

This weekend: stuffed jalapenos, stuffed mushrooms, 2 pork butts, & a brisket.
This brisket was smoked without foil. It’s been a long time since I’ve cooked one this way.
The point cooked to 200*, the middle of the flat read 185*, and the thin end of the flat read 195*.
My wife bought 24 peppers at the store but asked me to stop at the store on the way home to buy some mushrooms. I ended up buying another 12 peppers. (couldn’t help myself!)
Used a regular breakfast sausage this time instead of Chorizo and we like them better this way.
This is one of the two. It was 12:30 in the morning and I was too tired to pull it.
A new treat for our family, Bananas Foster. I’ve never grilled a banana before and it was dark outside, they got a little darker than I expected but they were GOOD.
The caramel sauce called for rum & banana liqueur. As you know I don’t have either in the house so I substituted for white grape/peach juice and apple juice then added a little artificial rum flavored extract to make up the difference. Everyone loved the fruity caramel sauce.

OK, so here’s what digging a hole in my yard is like! I don’t have a garden except for a few potted plants and anything I want to live through a Texas summer must be constantly watered. This isn’t a slighted sample, my whole yard and most of my neighbors are the same. We’re on a rock shelf. On the plus side, my house doesn’t shift with the weather.
ImageImageImageImage

It's been a while since I posted pictures :( so I had a few to upload :D . Enjoy!

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:32 pm
foxspit medium-rare
medium-rare

Awesome images! Wish I could have helped you eat all that!

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:17 pm
SuperDave71 medium-rare
medium-rare

:shock: Man..PASS THE BBQ sauce!! LET'S EAT!!!!

-SuperDave71 and Janet :D

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:27 pm
missing link well done
well done

Bob you out do yourself everytime! :lol: I just wish you would start inviting me over sometime.

Thanks for sharing,
Missing Link.
Last edited by missing link on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have Fun and keep it Low and Slow.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:45 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Bob:
Great lookin' spread! The weekend can't come fast enough after seeing that array of food.

I'm curious about your brisket out of the foil: how'd it turn out and more importantly would you do it that way again?

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:10 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

The flat end was a little more cooked than usual but that's about all I could tell. The thin end of the flat has overcooked before even with foil (but that's how burnt ends began afterall). The point end was as tender and juicy as ever. Would I do it again? Sure, I don't see why not, but I think I'll stick with the foil method for now. Just like not foiling the ribs...I figured that I'd change it up this time to see how they compared. I want to try some more this way or reduce the foil time to prevent excessive meat shrinkage. (although I think a lot of the shrinkage is fat rendering) Sometimes I just get a wild hair and decide to try it a little different. Plus if someone has a question about cooking without "the crutch" I want to be able to help them too :wink: .

Post Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:10 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

Bob,

Excellent as usual! :D

I am curious about foiling the brisket. Does foiling make it more tender? How about the bark, is it a really good bark?

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:24 am
Longmill well done
well done

Bob, you have a bad habit! :evil:

You make me HUNGRY every time you post pix of your latest cooks! :lol:

I love it :D Just wish I could be there to satisfy some of these hunger pangs. After seeing your pix, usually what I have handy in the kitchen, is like a far distant relative, many generations removed. :wink:

Thanks for sharing.
Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:31 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Tony, I believe the foil traps in moisture and "steams" the brisket during the last hours of cooking. I've heard a few people say that this speeds up the cooking process a little, that it makes the brisket more tender, and more of the fat renders, but I won't claim to know if all that's true or not. As for the bark, it gets a little soft in the foil, whether you finish cooking it in foil or allow it to rest in a cooler wrapped for a couple hours, but to me it still taste just a great.

LM, you crank out some pretty fine Q too. 8) I'm still waiting to see your first brisket. :D

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:04 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Amazing as always!
I've got to add mushrooms to my weekend list now....

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:27 am
The Grill'n Greek well done
well done

Bob, looks wonderful! How does the wife like having her dish turn all black and all from the smoking? I have never done beans B4. Maybe you don't leave them in long enough of blacken the pot. BTW are those pictures of your yard or the moon? If it weren't for the shovel in the first, which at first glance I missed, I thought that they were moon pix.
ImageImage
Kenmore Elite-gas
Weber table top-gas
CG w SFB
WSM

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:35 am
Gator Pit rare
rare

Bob, that is some seriously great looking food there.
Ritchey L. Robin,
BBQ Pits by Gator Pit
11161 West Little York
Houston, Texas 77041
Toll Free 1-866-869-5166
www.gatorpit.net
info@gatorpit.net
Voted "Best Mobile Barbecue Pit" Houston Press

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:41 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Ritch, how'd you make out from Rita?
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:00 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Greek most of what you see stuck to the dish is apple juice overspray. The kids do the dishes (actually the dishwasher does most of the work :wink: ) but it came clean pretty easy. I've found that a little shot of oven cleaner makes light work of smoke discoloration.

Image Image

Funny thing about my yard is; you'd probably have a better chance trying to get something to grow on the moon. :(

Post Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:09 am
Farmgirl medium
medium

Bob everything looks great!!!!!!!! I just got my WSM today and I can't wait to try it. My maiden voyage will be two pork butts and a brisket.

Next

Return to General Discussion