Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion flavorizer bars vs. porcelain briquette

flavorizer bars vs. porcelain briquette

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:29 am
monfri raw
raw

What's your opinion on lavorizer bars vs. porcelain briquette?
We are especially interested in the problem of flare ups and on the cleaning.
Thank!

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:37 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome to the site Monfri...There has been a lot of discussion in the past regarding flavorizer bars and cleaning them. You might try using the search function to find the threads. They may have the information that you are looking for. Glad you joined us..Look forward to reading about your experiences with the grill.

Pete

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:31 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The biggest diifference that I've been able to tell is in flare-ups.

Lava, porcelin or anything porous will absorb fat and when it catches fire will burn on it's own like a wick. Plate style heat elements, of which almost all mfgs. have a version seem to just flash flare-up unless REALLY coated with goop from improper or infrequent pre-heating and an after grilling "self cleaning cycle".

We have a Kenmore elite 6 burner (old style, It's heavier) It uses "W" shaped stainless plates. Weber uses inverted "V" shapes and others use a "V" shape which also channel drippings.

Most newer grills that use heat plates are now coming porcelin coated. Use 'em till the burn up and replace 'em with SS. I bet it'll last 6 times longer.

Don't try to make them shiney when cleaning just scrpae off the chunky stuff and fire it up. In 5 minutes or so they will be sterilized.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:04 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Without repeating whats already been said I am a huge fan of flavorizer bars!
I've even retrofitted older grills with them I like them so much. You can pick them up at almost any Lowes or Home Depot for not a lot of money. Well worth it and the only way to go in my opinon.

Ditto on the stainless.

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:58 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Flavorizer bars also do a better job of heat distribution than briquetts/lava rock, That means more even heat across the grill instead of hot and cold spots. This is also affected by the design of the burners and their number.

FWIW...I never bother to clean my Weber's flavorizer bars. They are right on the flame, and get much hotter than the grate. Every time I heat my grill, everything on them from the previous cook is quickly reduced to ash, so no cleaning is needed. I've been using my current grill very frequently for 3 years now, and have never had any problem caused by dirty flavorizer bars.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion