Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion not your normal rib how to question

not your normal rib how to question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:57 am
waterman raw
raw

I have plans to cook up some of steves memphis ribs, but have a little problem. I don't think my gold c is big enough for the 4 sides of ribs to call it inderict cooking. I thought about the rib baskets they sell but i am a tightwad and hate to spend money on somerthing i could make myself.
OK enough babbeling on,.. If I welded some rebar in the shape of one of those rib baskets would it effect the taste of the meat touching the metal? Will I die after eating the ribs cooked on such a device? Long story short. Is it safe to eat of steel? Thanks for any advise.

/

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:38 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Now That's what I call a Tight Wad! - j/k :lol:

Don't take my word for it, but my guess would b e it's OK. I would of course make sure you clean it good and then burn it in.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:25 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Waterman,

Check out:

www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.p ... +rib+racks

We went over several ways to rack ribs.

Just remenber it's OK to stack 'em as well.

As this makes for a larger meat mass you will have to increase your cooking time.

Just change their position in the stack and flip 'em to even out the heat exposure.

Remember this is indirect grilling. Exposure to heated air is not needed to cook. Just heat.

Towards the end as the bones start to show either transfer them to another grill for saucing and crisping or toss them into a cooler that has been preheated with a large pot of hot water while you finish the rest.

Take them out of the cooler as you need them, place back on the grill to re-crisp and serve them up.

YES, DRY ribs (which I prefer) can also be done this way. Just don't sauce them.

Rob

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:57 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Anything galvanized is a big no no for exposure to heat in the presence of food.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:06 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Anything galvanized is a big no no for exposure to heat in the presence of food.

Can you explain why Rob?
I’ve seen many cheap grills at the market made out of galvanized metal.
Thanks.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:15 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Taking my cue from a previous disscussion.

www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.p ... galvanized

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:37 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Waterman - Get the racks, they are worth the investment.
With the price of steel right now you'll save money buying them vs trying to have them made.
Everyone is correct that you don't want to cook with a galvanized product. Eventhough it takes great temperatures to release those gasses or through the process of welding where the metals are bonding, it is still better not to take the risks.

Return to General Discussion