Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials First meal from 'How to Grill'

First meal from 'How to Grill'

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:30 pm
BBQ_Rob rare
rare

I've had my CG for several weeks now, and tonight I finally got around to doing something from How to Grill. There was one recipie that I've heard alot about it but I had to taste it for myself: Beer-Can-Chicken (aka Beer-Butt-Chicken).

Awesome...totally awesome! Using Steven's basic BBQ rub, a can of Tecate, and some mountain mahogany for the smoking, this bird tasted like none other I have ever had. The skin was crispy, and the meat was oh so juicy with a nice light smoke flavor. I have never seen my son eat so much chicken (he's 3 and you know how pickey they can be). Next time though I think I will try using hickory or apple for smoking as I think the mahogany might be better suited for beef or game.

As a newbie to charcoal grilling, I felt it was a waste to not use all that good heat leftover after the chicken had finished. I had seen something about grilling pineapples in HTG and thought I would give it a shot. Boy, am I glad I did! It was incredible. My wife does not like warm pineapple and I am not a huge fan of coconut but we both just loved it. After we gobbled up all the pineapple slices with dinner, we took the remaining juices from the pineapple and poured it over a scoop of ice cream that she & I shared...<sigh> :D

Ah the bliss of being in BBQ heaven.... :D

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:27 am
Smokin Joe medium
medium

Welcome to the board Rob. The BBC is one of my 5 year olds favorites too. And I promise you that your copy of HTG will get lots of good use, its jammed packed with awesome recipes. If you pick up SR's USA book you can follow along with his tv show too. Enjoy!!!
Grillin' in the Sunshine State

Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:08 pm
N.Y Smoker rare
rare

I too made my 1st meal today from the How to Grill book - the pulled pork recipe - I followed the recipe fairly closely - I used whatever mop sauce I had leftover to help make the vinegar sauce-but anyway the end result was out of this world! I'm going to make the smoked spare ribs next weekend.
You Da Man Steve!

Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:26 pm
BBQ_Rob rare
rare

I can't wait to do some pulled pork, especially since I just added the SFB to my CG.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find time to smok one... :(

Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:06 pm

The brick chicken was the first one I tried and it blew my socks off. It was by far the best chicken breast I have ever eaten.

My wife commented the other day after I made the Carolina Pulled Pork that we have never had a bad experience with anything in the book.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:49 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board BrooklynBounce! :D

Feel free to join the discussions of our other forums too.

Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:04 am
BBQRanger medium
medium

Yep, the Beer Can Chicken is always a hit in my family. The combo of Steven's Basic BBQ Rub, brewski and applewood smoke are out of this world!

The pulled pork is a favorite as well. We use the crud out of the basic BBQ rub.

Another great combo is the Chinese five-spice Rotisserie chicken recipe smoked over oak accompanied by Steven's recipe for Honey Sesame shrimp on the barbie! It uses the same five-spice powder as the chicken.

Great stuff!

My first recipe though was the Bahamian Chicken in the BBQ Bible.
"Gettin' paid to grill, two weeks out of every month!"

Weber Silver Genesis
CG Super Pro w/SFB

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:45 pm
Freelander medium
medium

I too, started off with the Bahamian grilled chicken....a MAJOR hit with my wife and son.

I tried Stet's Steak two nights ago....I could not believe the taste. I was amazed at the difference in using cracked WHITE pepper as opposed to black. I'm a MAJOR steak lover....and always on the lookout for a new method of preparing them that does not involve burying that wonderful steak flavor in some over-powering sauce.
Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.
-Mark Twain

Return to Testimonials