Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion beer can chicken-caribbean jerk style

beer can chicken-caribbean jerk style

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:22 pm
Zeke rare
rare

I imagine a Red Stripe would be great with this...but I've never seen it in cans. I suppose you could do a substitution....

I'm going to have to try this one.
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:23 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Drink your Bud then refill with Redstripe.

Come on guys. Do you have this much trouble coming up with reason to drain
another can of beer! (Whoops! Did that one wrong have to do it again!)

R

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:11 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Zeke, you know your beers. With the short squatty shape of a red stripe bottle, it may shove in just right.
Anyone here tried beer-bottle chicken?
Of course, you could just drink Red Stripe with jerk chicken.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:09 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Don't know that I would use a beer bottle on the grill. Be a shame to ruin a meal.

I've seen glass chicken sitters before but you can bet they are made from Pyrex or laboratory glass and are safe for use with high heat.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:56 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

DON'T USE GLASS BOTTLES!
They can explode. Not Meant to handle the heat. At the very least they can crack. Plus you have the labels and glue to deal with. I know the beer is better from a bottle but for chickens stick with cans.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:41 pm
chagan well done
well done

Great recipe smokey, might I also suggest adding a little bit of all-spice. True Jerk- Jamaican style, is cooked over a bed of allspice (pimento) wood. Unfortunately, due to export restrictions, allspice wood is practically impossible to get a hold of. If you don't want to add the allspice seasoning to the recipe, get yourself some allspice berries and use them as you would wood chips, by soaking them for about an hour in water or what have you, and adding them to the heat source by directly throwing them on the coals or putting them in a smoker box or smoke pouch. This should bring home some of the authentic jerk taste. BTW, if anyone has a source for allspice wood, I'd love to hear it- thank you in advance.
Last edited by chagan on Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey Smokey that sound like a good bird! I also did a jerked coke can chicken one time. We had some left over pesto from making Jamaican Jerked Pork. So I spread it on the chicken. It made a pleasant change to the routine chicken.

Return to General Discussion