Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials How to Grill - Guys Need Pictures!!

How to Grill - Guys Need Pictures!!

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:24 pm
Stan Birch

While I have an aptitude for spending endless fascinating hours reading law and contracts; but when it comes to reading cookbooks my eyes tend to glaze over.

My wife must have at least a hundred cookbooks; and from time to time over the past forty years, she has shoved a recipe in front of me to read: "Take a look at this; and tell me what you think." Basically, ALL recipes look pretty much the same to me: Just a tangled assortment of letters of the alphabet, rearranged in a variety of meaningless sequences. :shock: Regardless of how those letters are arranged, none of them letters have ever enabled me to envision taste nor appearance of the finished product; nor how each step in the mystifying procedure is supposed to look, nor how it might be accomplished. Is there anything on the entire planet more boring than Cooking and Cookbooks?!

Then one day at a newly opened supermarket, I spotted Steven's "How to Grill" book. As they say, a single picture can replace a thousand words; and Greg Schneider's pictures were awesome; allowing Steven to embrace brevity, in explaining how the results in the pictures were accomplished. They made everything seem so simple, that I figured I could even do this stuff!

I've heard that guys have a propensity to respond to visual stimulation. If so, it's probably why I bought "How to Grill". As one who has never before attempted to tackle the culinary arts, this book gave me a whole new perspective. You don't even have to be able to read. Just look at the pictures, and the entire procedure is pretty easy to follow. As an old guy who has never before gravitated toward this particular realm, it has really been a lot of fun!

I've attempted one recipe after another, starting with beer can chicken, ribs and pastrami, to a host of other novel ideas. So far, I haven't experienced a single failure. Everything has always turned out great!

I suppose that the only thing that was ever needed to enable guys to explore their aptiutde in the culinary arts, was to provide them with pictures! Steven has done this! Great job Steven, in enabling males to compete with the delicate gender!!

Stan

Post Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:37 pm
Longmill well done
well done

Welcome, Stan. I hope you'll register and join our group.

Thank you, for your review. When I first saw How to Grill in the bookstore, the pictures are what first attracted me to it, as well. Now, it's hard to buy another author's book on the same subject. Feels like I'm thumbing thru pages of lists.

Again, thank you and do consider joining us for some lively conversations on all types of backyard cooking.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Return to Testimonials