Board index Barbecue Board FAQs and How-To's Member Recipes

Member Recipes

From board specific to BBQ specific and back again, all the information you'll need to enjoy your stay here or in your backyard.

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:24 pm

I have a recipe for an excellent side, I DO NOT SHARE THIS RECIPE...but I will with you today. This is an old family recipe that I feel I have perfected. I have written it down very detailed for you, and if you follow it to the T you will get superb product that will have your friends, and family begging for more. There are some specialty ingredients, in this dish, but you should be able to find them. If not shoot me an email and I will tell you how to whip up your own. I serve this recipe with Smoked spanish style picnic ham... if your nice ill give you the recipe for that as well :) ..... Well all that, and I didnt even tell you what the dish is 8) .. without further addo I give you Chipstealers Spanish Rice.

Prep 30 mins - Cook time 30 mins

6 cups Extra Long Grain Rice ( do not rinse, no uncle bens ! )

1/2 of a 7oz jar of Olives & Cappers

1 can Gondules ( may be labled as pigeon peas, try to get the brown ones, if not green are fine)

1 bottle Olive Oil ( use a spanish variety, I use goya ! )

4-6 packets Sazoon goya w/ annato

2 lbs pork ( use chops, or steaks )

1 green pepper ( small dice )

1 white, or spanish onion (small dice )

1 bunch fresh cilantro ( ruff chop remove 90% steams )

4 - 6 garlic cloves ( drizzle with olive oil, and salt and mince )

Spices : Adbo, garlic powder, cumin, smokey spanish paprika, salt & pepper Just keep on counter you will layer these spices througout cooking process to taste.

To begin chop all veggies and place on paper plates for use later.

Cube pork, and place in bowl season with some of the spices, and add a pinch of the green pepper, onion, and cilanto . drizzle with some olive oil.

Over medium high heat, in a wide high side pot add enough olive oil to cover bottom. ( we call it a rice pot, I will post a link to a picture of one as it is very important in how the dish cooks)

Fry pork mixture till well done ( some cremains on the bottom of the pot are a plus! ) Remove pork and set aside. ( there should now be O/O, and pork fat in the bottom of the pot, if not add some more O/O)

Add remaining Onions, and Green pepper to pot. Fry for 2-3 mins keeping them moving. ( try to scrape up some cremains at this point ) Now add your minced garlic and fry for 1 - 3 more minutes.

Add drained Gondules (pigeon peas) , Olives & Cappers, 1/2 the Cilantro, and 1/2 the sazzon. Fry for a couple more minutes till all the cremains are off the bottom. ( It should now have a dark Red / Golden color but the onions , peppers, and garlic should not be burnt. )

Add Pork, Rice, remaning Cilantro, and Sazzon to the pot. ( You may need to drizzle with more O/O )

Fry rice with all ingredients for several minutes. When you start to get a nutty smell its time to add the water, or chicken stock. ( correct me if im wrong but the nutty smell is the starch beging to break down. )

Add water / chicken stock to the pot I use about 8 - 10 cups ( do not use water to rice ratio for regular white rice, there is water in the beans, olive, onions, and grn pepper that make up for the diffrence. If your rice comes out gummy you have used to much water. )

Add more spices to taste. stir in taste broth for flavor ( your rice will taste like the broth) Bring to a rolling boil stir to make sure rice isnt sticking on bottom. Cover and lower the temeperture to LOW. Put timer on for 15 minutes. ( DO NOT LIFT LID... AT ALL ) When 15 minutes are up flip Rice Re - Cover pot, and cook for 15 more minutes on low ( again do not lift lid )

Your rice is done when 15 minutes are up. Should be fluffy, and Almost look as if its individual grains. And have a Nice Yellow - Red color. If its to gummy next time use less water... If its crunchy then you didnt, add enough.....

Enjoy ... the flavor is awesome and serves well with any smoked meat.. do to the Cumin, and paprika in the dish.

I know this is long, but I wanted the recipe to be as detailed as possible for you. This Recipe is 100% orignal to my family, and people have been known to call, or knock on my door to BUY a pot for there family get togethers. If you have succes with it they will do the same for you.. Just tell them You got the Recipe from me !

[/b]
Taste This.

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:07 pm

http://store1.yimg.com/I/kkapers2_1854_62926479 This is a picture of a Rice Pot.... They can be bought here....http://www.kitchenkapers.com/3-7-quart- ... html....... The correct name is a Caldero.[/url]
Taste This.

Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:18 pm

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:12 pm Post subject: Buffalo Seafood Chicken Wings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffalo Seafood Chicken Wings

24 Large Scallops
24 Large Shrimp
24 Strips of Bacon (I use Canadian bacon cut into1 piece Strips)
McCormick Grill Mates® Montreal Chicken Seasoning Grill
Your favorite Hot Sauce ( I use the TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce)
Your favorite BBQ Sauce ( I use a Bourbon based red BBQ Sauce)

Smoker with Lump charcoal and a mix of hickory and mesquite chips for the smoke
And a Grill.

Preparation

1) Slice Scallops nearly through Should remind you of a clam shell
2) Peel the shrimp leaving the end of tail on
3) Stuff the scallop with the shrimp and toothpick it through the top of the scallop and shrimp on a 45-degree angle.
4) Next season the new wing with the Montreal Chicken seasoning.
5) Now wrap the bacon around the new wing using the toothpicks to secure it.
6) Splash on your hot sauce as liberally as you would like( I usually put the whole bottle in a shallow dish and dredge them through.
7) Now let them marinate for 30 minutes in a cooler or a refrigerator.

Cooking
1) Get the smoker going at 200 to 220 degrees and smoke for 30 Minutes with a large load of Chips.
2) Take from the smokers and grill them on med low for 15-20 minutes( you are trying to crisp the bacon)
3) As your grilling brush on the sauce
4) Once bacon crisps pull them and lightly sauce If you like hot wings a few dashes of your hot sauce will kick them up.
5) Remove toothpicks and serve with an ice cold Corona with a lime and enjoy

The advice Steve gave was half the smoking time and double the wood chips when smoking. This was you can grill longer without getting the seafood too tough. Previously I smoked for an hour.
I was thinking of maybe sprinkling the bacon with brown sugar and using a small torch to help crisp the bacon. I have found even if the bacon is not very crisp these very good

Enjoy everyone and PM me with and suggestions to the crispy bacon dilemma
:cry:

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:32 am
Newgriller rare
rare

This marinade is about 60 years old. It was a friends grandmothers recipe.
I only use it when I make skirt steak. Every time it's made I think about being down the Jersey Shore on Long Beach Island (LBI).

I hope you all enjoy.

1/2 Cup soy sauce
2 T Vinager
3 T Honey
3/4 Cup Oil
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1 1/2 ginger
A little bit of Onion Powder

Put in a large bowl and mix all together. Then add in Skirt Steak.
Let it marinade 6 hours.

Grill and enjoy.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:33 am
dinger raw
raw

Anyone have a good zesty bbq sauce recipe that is tomato, and not catsup based? I use a thinner vinger and tomato based sauce now, but as I have done more and more brisket I have realized that a thicker and zestier tomato based sauce would be perfect for that.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:14 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board dinger! :D

I would think that you would have no trouble substituting tomato sauce for ketchup in any recipe and maybe add a little tomato paste if you want to thicken it up.

Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:34 am
foxspit medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks for the family recipe Chipstealer! I love these kind of things and I look forward to trying the recipes. I hope I can find the ingredients. May have to look for a caldero too if this works out like I hope.

Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:59 pm

Hey Im glad you like it. Let me know how it came out for ya.

Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:34 pm
kiltedcook well done
well done

dinger wrote:
Anyone have a good zesty bbq sauce recipe that is tomato, and not catsup based? I use a thinner vinger and tomato based sauce now, but as I have done more and more brisket I have realized that a thicker and zestier tomato based sauce would be perfect for that.

Welcome to the forum Dinger. Here's one that I particularly like.

1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup chili sauce
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons maple syrup

In a medium to large saucepan, saute the onions in the butter over medium heat until soft. Add remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Barbequed Haggis Anyone?

Post Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:48 pm
MrEcted1 well done
well done

Turn that so-so canteloupe into something a little bit more special.

This is so simple, that maybe it's more common then I am thinking... not sure(not cooked on the grill, but goes great with most any BBQ!... perhaps it could be grilled though...)

anyways,
If it turns out that you just can't find very good cantaloupe, don't worry. Just pick up the best one you can find, cut it into long thin slices and drizzle honey over it. I find that most people don't really taste the honey per se, instead they think it's just really good cantaloupe. Better cantaloupe makes it even better of coarse, but this is a good way to bring a little bit of life to the lower quality cantaloupe.

Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:07 am
Longmill well done
well done

Thanks for the tip on canteloupe. I haven't heard that one. We used to use salt and pepper. Since salt is now a no-no, been looking for something else to enhance the flavor. Will definitely try honey.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:35 pm

I got the following from the Food Network. DEEEEELICIOUS !!!!! Always a HIT !!! :D

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella

Chef - Giada De Laurentiis

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing grill
4 large portobello mushrooms (about 5 inches in diameter), stemmed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 small to medium sized vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used CAMPANA BUFFALO MOZZARELLA CHEESE. It's nice & creamy. Not rubbery like the others)
1/4 cup chopped FRESH basil leaves

Prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat).
Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms.
Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
Put olive oil on grill to prevent mushrooms from sticking.
Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil and garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Add the tomatoes, cheese, and basil and toss to coat. Season the tomato salad, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Place 1 hot grilled mushroom gill side up on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Spoon the tomato salad atop the mushrooms, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to finish, about 1 tablespoon and serve.

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:30 pm
bearbonz well done
well done

Here is green chlie con carne recipe I learned years ago growing up in So. AZ.

2 lbs pork shoulder roast
6 new mexico green chiles (can use anahiem if NM not available)
2 medium onions
2 limes
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp chile powder
4 c. chicken stock or broth
salt to taste
3 cloves chopped garlic
Cube roast in 1 inch cubes, in a pot on medium high heat add 2 tbsp of oil. Toss in pork and brown. After meat brown add onions and stir till onions are soft. Add diced chiles (roast to char skin, peel, and seed)and garlic. Add spices and herbs and chicken stock. Reduce heat to med low and simmer for 1 hour. Try adding jalepeno, serrano or habeneros for a little more heat.

Gator BYCC
GOSM

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:34 am
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

Here at BarbecueBible.com, we always encourage you to share your culinary talents with the group. A couple of ground rules--these must be original recipes, or recipes that have been so modified that they don't infringe on copyright. We always encourage you to credit the original source in the case of a modified recipe.

If you have a recipe that you would like to share please e-mail the recipe to Info@Workman.com for inclusion in our most-loved recipes section here. Include any background information about the recipe and your Barbecue Bible Board user name so we can give you credit. If you have a recipe that you have posted on the board, try to include the link to the original post so we can include it (thus giving everyone quick access to the reviews and/or pictures as well).

Please also remember that recipes posted on the Barbecue Bible Board become the property of BarbecueBible.com and Workman Publishing.

Info

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:08 am
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Okay everyone.. here is my bbq recipe. It is not the original as I found it, as I have modifiied it to my liking. You can do the same. If you try it, let me know what you think of it.

Southern Hot & Tangy BBQ Sauce

1 cup white vinegar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup honey
1 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup hot sauce
4 teaspoons liquid smoke
64 ounces ketchup
4 teaspoons dry mustard
4 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 cup spicy mustard
8 cloves pressed garlic
4 teaspoons horseradish
6 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
1 can (12 ounce) beer
18 ounces molasses

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer on low for about 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Sauce should become slightly thicker. If you want a thicker sauce, continue to simmer, or add tomato paste. ( I find adding the paste, changes the flavor to a more tomato flavor, so I just simmer it more).

This will make me famous when I am published in the cookbooks. :lol:
MrGrumpy aka Bill Moon

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs and How-To's