Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Boneless chuck roast

Boneless chuck roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:28 pm
Delaware Smoker well done
well done

HI,I want to smoke a boneless chuck roast.Any ideas on the best way to do this?Thanks.Also,thanks for the tip on the smokers at wal-mart.I have to order it direct,but at the price you can't beat it.Plus my wife works at wal-mart,so will get 10% off.So it comes out to where the shipping is free.I like that.

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:53 pm
sacmer well done
well done

Basically do it like a brisket. If you want to make "pulled beef" then you will need to take it to at least 195 and then foil it and let it rest for at least an hour. The final temp should rise a bit and then you can pull it. If you want to just slice it then you could finish a little lower temp. I did a large 16lb chuck that I bought cryovaced from my local Albertsons while on sale. Just rubbed it and did it in my electric smoker. In an offset I probably would mop a bit to avoid dryness. Mine was rather thick as you can imagine but everything but the very deepest section pulled well. I had a lot of leftovers!

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've mixed traditional with smoking.

This is a chuck roast and an arm roast that I smoke for a couple hours to 160* the we put them in an oven with veggies until they were done. It turned out real good as the meat imparts a good smoky flavor to the rest of the vegetables. I'm sure you could do it all in the smoker but the veggies will take on a lot of smoke flavor so you may want to cover with foil after a while.

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:42 pm
kiltedcook well done
well done

I've put in veggies before. What I do is add them with about 3 hours to go. At that point there is very little smoke and at 225 they're perfectly cooked in that amount of time. I lay the meat on a rack above the veggies so they get basted in drippings. Mmmm good eats.. oops forgot to add the little trade mark sign to that "good eats" comment.... :shock:

Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Barbequed Haggis Anyone?

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:28 pm
Longmill well done
well done

medium rare wrote:
HI,I want to smoke a boneless chuck roast.Any ideas on the best way to do this?Thanks.Also,thanks for the tip on the smokers at wal-mart.I have to order it direct,but at the price you can't beat it.Plus my wife works at wal-mart,so will get 10% off.So it comes out to where the shipping is free.I like that.

The others have given some great answers on your roast question. At this point, probably best answered with a question. What type of smoker do you have in mind. Vertical or offset, gas or charcoal? What's your budget range?

I have the charcoal Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain that precedes the Brinkman. I'm happy with it, after making some mods to the charcoal pan. (Replaced with a grate & ring.) And, from what I understand, either of the gas models works well. Plus, if you want to use both charcoal and gas, there's a modification using the Chargriller side fire box that will let you do just that.

For the offsets, I'd recommend the Chargriller instead. Check out the features comparison chart at http://www.chargriller.com . If Northern Tools is still running their special, Lowes and Home Depot will price match it, plus an extra 10% off. Some people have found the CG at Kroger on close out for $79, if memory serves. L & HD may price match that, plus an extra 10% off.

FWIW, I've been using the CG for 3 years. Added the offset this past spring. Am well pleased with it. Would definitely buy it again.

Hope this helps, a bit.
Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Return to General Discussion