Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Steak King Probes - Do you know this product?

Steak King Probes - Do you know this product?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
eelpie raw
raw

I have just come upon this set of barbecue probes, and I am trying to learn more about them.

They are 'Steak King' (Patent Pending) probes, in rare, medium, and well done, they're about 18" long each, and they've come mounted on a wooden plaque.

My impression is that when the appropriate temperature has been reached, the small 'flag' in the handle will pop up; in as much as I cannot test them, I don't know if they work.

Have you ever heard of such a product? Do you know where I might get more information on them?

Thanks in advance for any aide you might lend . . .

Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:45 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You didn't say where you saw these.

Look kinda scary.

eelpie raw
raw

I saw them at an auction, and I bought them.

They're currently in my dining room . . .

Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:57 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Eelpie...Welcome to the board. I tried a google for the probes and didn't find anything like that. You came to the right place...Perhaps someone here will have some info about them.

Pete

eelpie raw
raw

Thank you for the welcome!

I ran Yahoo & Google searches, coming up with nothing.

I then contacted Steven, and he suggested I turn to you fellows.

And so I have . . .

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:10 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Eelpie,
Welcome to the group. You wouldn't be the same Eelpie I've traded with on WinMX... James W?
In either case, welcome. This is a fantastic resource for grilling fanatics.
Have you tried your probes yet?
I recently got a Polder Digital dual sensor thermometer that I really like.
Check the "Thermometer Needed" discussion, also "Location Of Heat Indicator", and "Taking The Plunge" for more info.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

eelpie raw
raw

No, I'm not James W, but thank you for the welcome, and for the suggestion on the other discussion boards . . .

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:23 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board eelpie, I haven't seen these gadgets before by I will also try to dig up some information. I'm glad to see that you have webspace for pictures. As anyone around here will tell you, I like to see photos of what others are Q'ing. I hope you've got some you can post. :wink: Hope we can find some info on the steak swords!

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:36 am
chagan well done
well done

Hey eelpie, I searched high and low for some info with no luck. Are you sure that is the exact name- "Steak King"? Maybe you have the only ones ever made :D

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:57 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Chagan may have hit on something here, these may be one of a kind things. I'm looking at the wood board they are mounted on. It seems to be more of an award setting than a storage setting. I am thinking that if they were practical cooking tools they wouldn't be stored on a finished wood wall plaque. Is it possible this is a custom made "award" that was presented to somebody once upon a time. With the tool being little more than a novelty. Following that thought "Steak King" may be a title not a manufacturer.

Just a thought...

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:01 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Eelpie, have you tried using them yet? Do you know if they work?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:12 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

eelpie I'm unable to find anything on your probes. I wonder if they may have been a prototype that never made it to market. On the upside, you may have a rare item that may increase in value. Who knows?

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:39 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Do we have any bidders???

I picked up a set of long handled salt and pepper shakers from the ealy 50's on e-bay for $4.00 a couple of months ago.

Sure look great on the wall!!

Those probes will be a conversation piece for years to come.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:26 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

I've often seen mfg stickers on the back of items like these, or similar items from decades ago. This item would appear to be vintage in nature. You didn't mention if there were any markings as such. Is there any patent info, copyright date, or mfg info?

I know, I know, just grasping for straws here.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Return to General Discussion