Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill Time

Grill Time

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:48 am
chagan well done
well done

ThrRoff wrote:
Chagan,

I have often wished for an umberlla over my grill but thought it would get ridiculously sooty. Not to mention a fire hazzard. I take it you have used it with out problems?

Yes Larry, no problems. However it is not a permanent fixture, I only use it as necessary. The canopy is several feet above the grill surface, and I don't start the chimney under the umbrella. I imagine that it would get sooty after some use- especially if doing some heavy smoking, perhaps you can find a dark color for this purpose. However, they are usually made of a vinyl type material, so cleanup shouldn't be too difficult.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:31 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

chagan wrote:
YardBurner wrote:
Most of us never stop our outdoor pyrotecnics.

Did I mention never to add matchlight charcoal to a chimney starter- I believe that I have, but it bears repeating :lol:

I used natural lump a few nights ago, and my chimney starter was glowing (and not just through the holes) the middle section became red hot. Is this normal, or am I in need of a replacement soon? I have the standard black painted iron one. I don't use natural as much so I have never noticed this before.

Yep, turns reddish/orange hot.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:28 pm
Chicago SP rare
rare

As a fellow Chicagoan and new orner of a Super Cajun Grill, I am making plans at this moment to spend the upcoming weekend no more than a few feet from the BBQ! I'm new to this board and very enjoy the good info and good company!

SP

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:00 pm
chagan well done
well done

Nice grill SP! Welcome aboard, looking forward to hearing about what you whip up this weekend! Cheers

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:08 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Chicago SP! That's a nice grill. I had my eye on one several years back, but the wife and kids bought a grill for father's day. Hope you enjoy it and share your adventures.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:20 pm

Many thanks, Bob. I'm really looking forward to firing it up. Being from Indiana, however, I also am required by state to keep a separate grill just for corn. In my case, it's one of those nice older 26" weber kettles that (for some terrible reason) they stopped making.

Thanks again and happy grilling.

SP

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:59 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Chicago SP..Welcome to the site. That's sounds like a really great grill. Hope you enjoy it here. This is a good site with a lot of people willing to share information that will make your grilling experience a good one. Good luck.

Pete

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:09 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree about the 26" Weber. Boy, would be a huge hit now.

I'd buy 2. One for home and one for my folks.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:27 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Chicago SP.. Let me also welcome you to the Board. I am in the market for a new grill and have been eyeing a Cajun so please post your reactions to using it here. Enjoy!!

Any one else here use or have a Cajun grill?

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:38 pm

Thr Roff...

Thanks for the welcome! I can tell you preliminarily that I am absolutely thrilled with the construction of this baby. It is without question engineered and manufactured to last a long, long, long time. I'm equally ecstatic about the "accessories," including a separate smoker box, deflector/steamer pan, built-in thermometer and (the very best) a tray that replaces one grate and holds an 8-quart dutch oven. I've owned my fair share of grills, but never anything that approaches this level of quality.

I've fired it up only once to "cure" the paint, and it promptly red lined the thermometer at 550 degrees. The manufacturer says it will hit 700 with ease. (The action on the adjustable coal tray brought a tear to my eye.)

I've planned both grilling and slow cooking for this weekend. I'll post results.

Thanks again,

SP

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:05 pm
BigBad raw
raw

70 degrees in Minneapolis today. Safe to say there will be grillin' to be had at the Big Bad household this weekend. Now just have to decide what to make! Soooo many choices!

Happy grillin!

Previous

Return to General Discussion