Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Steven's show in the Metro detroit area, got questions

Steven's show in the Metro detroit area, got questions

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
brett

Hi , I currently live in the burb's of the detroit area. Last summer i was able to get steve's show on my local 'Wyandotte' cable company. Anyway, in the last 6 months ive moved and now im using direct tv. Anyway, using my direct tv tivo, i have been searching for steve's show and it doesnt come up at all. Is it not on YET? or if it is what time and day are you guys getting it. I wen to the listing of times and channels and it says on this site detroit, MI Saturdays at 4:30 but when i check my direct tv listing for that day it doesnt show that at all. Am i missing something. Does directtv not show all detroit airiing? Any thoughts of how to aquire it. thanks all. Hopefully some fellow detroit'rs can help out?> Thanks all

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:27 pm
chagan well done
well done

I have the same problem Brett. The show usually shows up on your local PBS station, so make sure that you are getting the local channels too. Unfortunately, they only have one local PBS station that I get from my "local" channels (NY area), and Steve's show is not on there. You may want to install a regular roof antenna to actually pull in ALL of your local channels. Aside from that, we are out of luck until Steve COMPILES ALL OF THE SEASON'S EPISODES AND PUTS IT ON A DVD FOR US SATELLITE VIEWERS. One could stand to make a few dollars that way. :wink: :wink:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:58 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Oh great Idea Chagan!!!
You've earned you're potato roll for the day with that one!

If our resident grill goddess Amy aka Info@workman is watching please take note and pass this brilliant idea along to the powers that be...

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:21 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

As always, I'm watching. I shall pass your thoughts on to the powers that be.

Info

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:46 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I dont think it has anything to do w/ direct TV. I also live in the Detroit area and PBS was the sation that carried Steve's show. They stopped showing it late last fall and I have yet had any luck finding out if they will air again!

I'm hoping they start soon with spring upon us.

Tom

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:51 pm

That is true TOMP, The new season did not start yet. However, there are many markets where the show is not available- you happen to be one of the truly lucky ones. I, on the other hand......

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:51 pm
chagan well done
well done

Sorry Info, that was me.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:52 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Brett...I check the local Detroit Public TV listings and the show is still not being aired. Their site is www.detroitpublictv.com It normally shows on Saturday's, 4:30 p.m. on PBS. At least, that's the time it was aired last season. When I e-mailed PBS they responded that they would be carrying the show again in the Spring of 2004...more than likely next month. I think Tomp is right that it probably has to do with the season. That was a good suggestion about picking up the show with a regular antenna..at least that's how I get it.

Pete
Last edited by hickory pete on Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:55 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Reminder: Steven's BLOG says: "April 3: launch of year 2 of BBQ U on Public Television
Nation wide".

So hopefully it will be showing up in the T.V. listings soon.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:55 am
brett

Thanks everyone for the tips. The roof antenna actually was my next step. What i have noticed is, i have a High definition tv that i pull in the local channels with a antenna. Anyway, when i compare what the local over the air pbs channel is showing vs my direct tv pbs (it is showing as the local detroit pbs station btw) are different shows. Maybe direct tv shifts the airing times a bit. Anyway, it sounds more like the show will return in the spring. I guess im just getting the itch. Thanks again all, ill post if and WHEN i find it!

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:50 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Barbecue University is scheduled on PBS in the Detroit area, Saturday, April 3rd, at 3:30 p.m. Program titled: On The Stick. "Shrimp grilled on sugar cane, chicken sate, turkish shish kebab, grilled asparagus and garlic". It has been a long winter, and I'm looking forward to the new season. I'm glad I checked the local listing, because the show is airing 1 hour earlier than last year. :D :D

Pete

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:31 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Is "Barbecue University" the name of the show? How is it listed? I'd love to see it.
Perhaps episodes could be downloadable from the site too?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:57 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Barbecue University is how it shows in the Detroit PBS listing, which would lead me to believe that's how it is everywhere. I clicked on "TV listings", added the schedule date, and clicked on "view whole day". Hopefully, your local PBS will be similar.

Pete

Return to General Discussion