Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Adding Charcol

Adding Charcol

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:44 pm
shawn

Right now I use a gas grill, I want to buy a kettle grill for the summer, I know this sounds like a dumb question but you see the words "add more charcol", just how do you add additional charcol to the grill without taking everything off, etc?

Thanks in advance

Shawn

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:52 pm
Rick rare
rare

Depends on what charcoal grill you buy. The Weber Kettle's grill has hinged areas on each side to allow you to put addtitional charcoal in as you are grilling. Works well. With some BBQ's you might have to jsut grab hold of the grill with the meat on it and set it aside while you add charcoal.

Remember, you should always use charcoal that has been started. Otherwise, you might get a bitter taste on your food. I like to use a chimney starter. They cost $10-$15. Worth the money.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:28 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Shawn, welcome to the board. Feel free to join!

As well the Patio Classic lineup of charcoal grills have a hinged grate to tend to coal during cooking without having to remove the whole grate. Smokers, both horizontal and vertical, have access doors for adding more fuel. If you equipment doesn't have an access door or a hinged grate then you must lift or remove your grate to add more charcoal.

Another benefit to adding pre-lit charcoal, it doesn't drop your cooking temps.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:37 pm
chagan well done
well done

In addition, if you use natural lump charcoal, you will not need to pre-start it, just throw it on the existing fire.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:00 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You might want to make sure but the base model webers don't come with the hinged grate.

Not an expensive fix but it might be an unpleasant suprise.

Don't forget to pick up an additional charcoal grate to put at 90 degrees to the existing one.

You'll use alot less fuel. IMHO

Rob

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:04 pm
chagan well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Don't forget to pick up an additional charcoal grate to put at 90 degrees to the existing one.

Can you explain what you mean further YB?

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:11 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Chris, I believe the extra grate is in reference to "How to get a Hotter Fire" discussion.
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:15 pm
chagan well done
well done

Thanks for clearing that up Bob, I thought he was talking vertically. I didn't think that would work :D

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:22 pm
SmokeyJ rare
rare

YardBurner wrote:

I am also confused by this comment...Rob it sounds like you've re-invented the wheel, Weber makes a specific part to keep charcoal to the outsides of the Kettle Grills.

You might want to perform an internet search (or just go to Amazon.com) for "Weber Charcoal Rails"

Jase

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:45 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

See the how to get a hotter fire thread regarding the use of the additional coal grate.

And yes, Weber makes coal rails. I like the basket style alot morethan the wire type. :lol:

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:01 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Shawn,

Back to adding charcoal. As others have noted Weber uses a hinged grate. Other brands, such and Charbroil have a door on the grill body where you can add additional fuel. I believe a way to add charcoal is an absolute must on any serious grill.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:08 pm
Zeke rare
rare

I can chime in on the "second grate at 90 degrees"....

If you use charcoal briquettes, they're fairly large and they don't break down and fall through the charcoal grate. When you use natural lump charwood - the chunks are smaller and they always fall through the charcoal grate. When you place two charcoal grates at the bottom of your weber, it prevents the charcoal from falling through.
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:07 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've also learned to add the crumpled newpaper to the chimney after I've dumped in the charcoal. Especially when getting towards the bottom of the bag. Seems the coal dust, if present in sufficient amounts, can choke out and snuff the starter.

Rob

Return to General Discussion