Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill Time

Grill Time

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:32 pm
sross rare
rare

It's starting to warm up here in Chicago, which means it's time to break out the charcoal! Does anyone else live in a cold environment and can't wait to get out there?

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:29 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome!

Check the thread on cold weather grilling.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=487

Most of us never stop our outdoor pyrotecnics.

Rob

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:49 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome Sross...Glad to see the weather start to warm up a little. Check out that thread that Yardburner mentioned. As far as today...I was hoping to get outside and fire up the grill, but the rain has changed my mind....maybe later or tomorrow.

Pete

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:55 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Now...what was cold weather again?

Welcome to the Barbecue Bible Sross. We grill year round down here even in the Texas "snow" (rain). Well, I even grilled year round in Germany where it really snowed. Hang around a while, as it warms up across the country and Steven begins his second season on PBS next month, hopefully this will be warming up on the bulletin board as well.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:33 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

To some of us warm weather just means we can switch back to drinking beer. Liquor won't freeze ya know.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:43 pm
chagan well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Most of us never stop our outdoor pyrotecnics.

Did I mention never to add matchlight charcoal to a chimney starter- I believe that I have, but it bears repeating :lol:

I used natural lump a few nights ago, and my chimney starter was glowing (and not just through the holes) the middle section became red hot. Is this normal, or am I in need of a replacement soon? I have the standard black painted iron one. I don't use natural as much so I have never noticed this before.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:51 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Normal and it'll stay hot for awhile.

Most chimney starters are relatively thin. Weber's is quite a bit thicker and seems to last almost forever. (keep it dry!)

Can't wait to try the matchlight thing.

I'll have to wear a disguise so I don't get caught buying that nasty stuff

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm
chagan well done
well done

hickory pete wrote:
Welcome Sross...Glad to see the weather start to warm up a little. Check out that thread that Yardburner mentioned. As far as today...I was hoping to get outside and fire up the grill, but the rain has changed my mind....maybe later or tomorrow.

Pete

Those big patio table umbrellas fit nicely between the frame where the lid holder ring and the top of the frame meet down to the wheel frame/accessory tray. Of course this is on a Weber One Touch Platinum. If you don't have any of the parts mentioned on your grill, it probably won't work. :(
Last edited by chagan on Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:55 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Chris, I haven't used lump coal, but I did notice while watching one of Steven's shows, when he lit lump coal in wire baskets, that the wires on the baskets were glowing red hot. Side note: he was lighting them over a gas assisted starter built into the grill. So I'm not sure if it was the coals or the gas that heated the metal. But since the gas should have been turned off as soon as the coals lit, I believe the lump coal was the source.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:09 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

chagan wrote:
hickory pete wrote:

Pete

Those big patio table umbrellas fit nicely between the frame where the lid holder ring and the top of the frame meet down to the wheel frame/accessory tray. Of course this is on a Weber One Touch Platinum. If you don't have any of the parts mentioned on your grill, it probably won't work. :(

I guess I'm outa luck...no umbrella.. :(

Pete

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:29 pm
Ronbo rare
rare

You don't have to wait. It just takes a little longer to grill and you have to dress a bit warmer. It is Que'n time 365 days a year!!!

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:51 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Chagan,

I have often wished for an umberlla over my grill but thought it would get ridiculously sooty. Not to mention a fire hazzard. I take it you have used it with out problems?

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:11 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Fortunately Tampa is nice enough to grill year round!

I'll be firing it up 5 nights a week at least over the summer! sometimes 2-3 times a day:-))

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:29 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

ThrRoff wrote:
Chagan,

I have often wished for an umberlla over my grill but thought it would get ridiculously sooty. Not to mention a fire hazzard. I take it you have used it with out problems?

I built a metal cover over my grilling area. It cost me $600, but it was well worse it. It rains here in Georgia all year around (more so during the warm weather months). It was the best 600 dollars I’ve ever spent. I love to grill all year around, and this cover is essential around here.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:14 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

My Grill/OutdoorKitchen setup is inside our screen Porch/Pool Birdcage.

You simply can't beat it. Outdoors without the Mosquitos or rain!

Next

Return to General Discussion