Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New Smoker Tips?

New Smoker Tips?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:43 pm
SmokeyJ rare
rare

Today I just got my first smoker (Brinkman Pitmaster Delux). I’ve been charcoal grilling for a long time now and I am even a year round griller in the Pacific Northwest! Today I got my first smoker and am planning on doing ribs this weekend.

Any advice from experienced smokers would be appreciated as well as any helpful links. My smoker is the horizontal type with the off set charcoal/fire box.

Thank you and happy grilling/smoking.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:55 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy SmokeyJ, welcome to the barbeque bible. There are a lot of folks here with experience and good information. Here are a few recent topics that cover smoking ribs. Please take time to look them over:

BBq ribs

Short Ribs

Questions - Ribs & Sausages

Smoking ribs on horizontal smoker

The search feature at the top of the page can also be useful in finding more topics on ribs. If you have specific questions, fire away and we’ll try to be more help.
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:38 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Hi SmokeyJ..Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here, and look forward to reading about some of your experiences.

Pete

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:14 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

SmokeyJ,

Welcome to the Board. Others here will be able to offer tips and pointers for some good smoked meats. I have a Brinkman also. I don’t know if they have added to their instructions but the smoker really needs to be burned and seasoned a lot before it is usable, or you will get very ugly burnt paint taste on your foods for a while. Build a fire in both the fire box and the smoking chamber and let it get real hot. Keep it hot for a couple of hours until you can’t smell paint any more. I would let it cool, clean out the smoking chamber and then give it a good coat of cooking oil.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:16 pm
Rick rare
rare

Hello Smokey J, where in the northwest are you at?

Return to General Discussion