Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rub with honey

Rub with honey

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:38 pm
aardvarknav

I was recently in a Korean grocery store where they had honey powder and wondered if anyone was using this instead of sugar or regular honey in a rub or a marinade.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:21 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ve never heard of honey powder. I’d imagine it’s similar to table sugar with slight fruity flavor. You could add it to any rub, but I’d be careful about it’s brining point. Simple sugar burns easily and leaves a bitter taste.
Speaking of strange things to add to any rub, I add citric powder to mine. It gives the meat a nice tangy flavor. If anyone has any strange ingredients that they add to their rub, please share.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:51 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Two things.

First.

Honey powder is dessicated honey (dehydrated and ground) once rehydrated it will burn like a mother. As does simple sugar as stated. Turbinado sugar, available at Latino markets and an increasing number of groceries, both ground and in cone form has a much higher burn point. Plus I think it brings a earthier flavor to the party. Try using ground turbinado in ice tea with lime for a twist.

Second.

If you can't find citric acid, try using unsweetend lemonade flavor KoolAid. (the small packages). A little bit goes a long way since when using as a drink flavoring it's sweetened by at least a cup of sugar The Limeade is also kind of interesting to play with.

Rob

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:12 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I believe the burning point for sugar is about 320-325 degrees. From what I hear, it can be great in a rub for smoking or low temp roasting but use a sugar free rub for higher temp grilling.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion