Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Trash-Can Turkey or Lamb?

Trash-Can Turkey or Lamb?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

After reading Steve’s “How to Grill” and “Barbecue Bible”, I decided to pick up “BBQ USA”. While browsing through the book, I came across the Trash-Can Turkey recipe on page# 414. The technique sounded very interesting, and I started to wonder if it would work on a whole lamb. In Morocco (as Steve mentioned) people cook a whole lamb in a clay enclosed oven. This trash-can method kind of reminded me of that.
I wonder if anyone had any experience with this or thought of trying it?
Here are my plans so far: First, I would keep the trashcan in upright poison (instead of inverted). Keeping the can in that position would allow me easy access to the meat (since I don’t have a chart to go by). Second, I would put the lid on the can in upside down position. This will allow me to fill it with more coals. Third, I would use cement blocks to prevent the can from tipping. I was also thinking of putting few coals inside the trash can with some wood chunks and leave the lid off for the first half hour of cooking. This may give me some smoke flavor.
I wish Steve could give us his thoughts on this. In the mean while, if anyone have any input or suggestions on this idea, please share.
Thanks.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:31 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Hmm.. It COULD work. However I think the whole idea of the can being upside down is to prevent the heat from getting out. When we do the turkeys we put the coals on the top (err bottom) of the can.. and then we put coals around the whole can where any air leaks might be. I imagine your method would work, however It would take longer to cook.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:33 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

To add one more thing, with all the airways sealed, it helps the can act like a pressure cooker. Or at least that's how it was explained to me.
I was amazed that a 20lb turkey only took an hour and 15 minutes to cook.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:45 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I found this site while trying to look around for some info for you:

http://www.lambchef.com/

It might be worth checking out

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:21 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

You guys rock!
What an ingenious idea. I wish I had thought of it. First question is how will you support the lamb. I'd use some sort of rack positioned on bottom of can.
Second question is seasoning--I'd go pretty simple: salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, lemon.
Third is cooking time. This is an extremely efficient cooker, so it will probably take a couple hours.
Will you please, PLEASE let us know how this works out?
Good luck!
Steven Raichlen

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:48 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey Steven -

It's nice to see you post on your own board! I'm a big fan.

It doesn't look like you come around much, you must be busy!

Are you making any trips down to Tampa?
I think I missed your visit to the Publix Aprons cooking school out here last year:-(

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:31 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Steven,
I’m honored that you answered my post. I was thinking of supporting the lamb with a large skewer or I’ll try the rack as you suggested. The seasoning you suggested sounds great. I will defiantly try it, take some pictures and let you know how it turned out.
Thank so much.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:32 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Sharky,
Thanks for the info.
The reason I wanted to try the trash can in an upright position, because I needed an easy access to the meat. It’ll still be air tight, since the lid would be held down by the weight of the coals. I may even add some rocks on top of the lid for better seal.

Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:32 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

That's worth a shot!
If you can, take some pics of the process and show us how it comes out!

Return to General Discussion