Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Shish kebab suggestions?

Shish kebab suggestions?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Question: Do you push all the items on the kebab together or do you leave them separate?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:44 pm

Together
100%
Separate
No votes

Total votes : 6

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:44 pm
hotchef well done
well done

I made shish kebabs recently and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things they had done that worked well. I used a marinade that I loved that consisted of worcesteshire, lemon juice, butter, and garlic, but I had a problem with the marinading process. The butter gathered on the top of the marinade and thus pulled itself out. It made a nasty coating and I think it might also have taken away from the flavor. I like the flavor the butter adds, so I am hesitant to use vegetable oil. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix this one or give me a new one. The one in my How to Grill book seems kind of complicated (and expensive :lol: ) so I am looking for an easier way.

Also, I am not partial to onions so I was wondering if there were any other vegetables that did well on shish kebabs.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:53 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Try melting the butter seasoning it with some herbs and brushing it on in the final stages of grilling.

Grand Scale posted info on a butter mixture to spray on but my search didn't bring it up.

GS any help there?

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:58 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YB, I believe you're referring to "Standard Chicken with a Flair" http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=512

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:59 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ya beat me to it!!

Turbo typing is not my forte'.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:40 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I love to use the following on my shish-ka-bobs

steak/chicken(bacon wrapped), green pepper, red pepper, pineapple/apple, mushroom.

I've added Jalapeno's before and they came out pretty good.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:42 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Ack, I forgot to mention I also make a little teriyaki style marinade with

tamari sauce(dark soy sauce), brown sugar, rice wine vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. It comes out great every time! Add some garlic and sunflower seed oil to change it up a bit.

Watch the flare ups and baste with more sauce to keep this tasting really good!

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:46 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Hotchef,
Use olive oil for marinating the Kebabs and butter for basting (during cooking
). Also try a yogurt based marinades. Yogurt goes very well with Kebabs. Your marinade sounds good, but it’s missing a sweet component to it. Either add some brown sugar or concentrated pineapple juice to it, and you’ll have another dimension of flavor.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:40 am
chagan well done
well done

Hey Hotchef, in the future try using clarified butter. You make it yourself by melting butter, bringing it back to room temp and then straining it or removing the top layer that forms. This is the "coating" that you wrere referring to. It should greatly reduce the amount of impurities in the butter which will give you a much better marinade. Good luck, and welcome to the board!

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:52 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Chagan,
I don’t think clarified butter will make a difference in this case. When you clarify butter, you’re only removing all the milk solids from it. What you left with is pure fat, and fat will float on top of water (that’s what happened in Hotchef’s marinade). And once you put it in the refrigerator it will clot again and pull itself away from the marinade. Clarified butter is great for cooking and basting however, because it will not burn as easy and discolor the food.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:53 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You guys were right that about my butter spray. I treat butter in my sauces and marinades just like you would the sugar in a bbq sauce. It can and will cause flare ups and can turn black quickly if not careful. I prefer to spray the sauce on in this case. And to keep the butter from congealing I use my side burner with a pot of water to keep it warm an liquid. I have used my wing sauce to marinate wings for on the grill and it seems to me that the margerine in that takes longer to congeal. So maybe try margerine. But even then a few hours is all you'll get and need. But be careful of flareups.

Back to the topic of kebabs I am a big fan of just using standard italian dressing, and once I've even used a lowerys oe hour marinade that was a ginger something and it was great. But both of those are store bought bottles. I know I know, they were quick and easy. Sue me!

I've done kebabs with everything above plus, lamb, lobster, zuchini, cherry tomatos, garlic cloves, and salmon. Thats the beauty of kebabs they can be anything!

I just bought but haven't tried yet a kebab wheel for my rotisserie. Its two wheels that hold six skewers and as the spit rotates so do he skewers. I'll let you know how it works.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:33 am
chagan well done
well done

Thanks for clearing that up BBcue-Z, don't want to pass on bad info. I would agree with the yogurt marinade- that is very mediterranean and middle eastern, and will give a pleasant and exotic flavor to the kabobs that the guests may not have experienced before.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Return to General Discussion