Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ newbe questions about bbq-ing a steak PART II

BBQ newbe questions about bbq-ing a steak PART II

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Ok, so I'm getting better but still have questions. I grill on a Thermos gas grill. When I grill 2inch thich NY steak from Costco how long should it take?

I have the grill set on HI. I've cleaned and oiled the grates. When I grill it for 10 minutes a side (20 min total) it looks great but is Med rare at best.

How lond do I need to grill this thing to get to MED?

Thanks, brad

P.S. I soak it in soy sauce, garlic powder, slat and pepper.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:09 pm
ysr_racer raw
raw

Sorry, I'm ysr_racer

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:44 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

There's a fine line between Med Rare and Med. You're verry close. Just back off the heat a bit to keep the outside at the same state and let the inside keep cooking. Temps will vary time to time depending on all the other variable in play. But just back it off a bit and keep going, you'll get there.

I use a marinade/baste thats very similar, I add equal parts olive oil and soy, then garlic powder, seasoned pepper and lemon pepper. It great.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:45 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Racer there are a few things that you could adjust to cook the meat a little more:

Let the meat warm to room temperature for 30 min before grilling.
Close the lid on the grill while cooking.
Lower the fire to medium-hot and cooking a few minutes longer per side.
If there is a layer of fat, removing the fat allows the steak to cook faster (most prefer to leave the fat on for moisture and flavor).

Hope this helps.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:28 pm
ysr_racer raw
raw

How long are you guys grillin' thick steaks? I'm already up to 20 min on HI. If I back the heat down to MED-HI should I go for 25 min?

When you say lower the temp, do you mean for the whole time or after 20 minutes?

thanks, brad

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:43 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I totally agree with the above posts. It’s not just a matter of time. It’s also temp control. First start on high heat to sear, and then lower the temp to cook the steak to your desire doneness. Think of it this way: when cooking a steak indoors, you’ll first start with a very hot frying pan to sear the steak on all sides, and then you finish it in the oven to cook slower and more evenly. Cooking a steak on a grill is not much different. Remember, first sear on high temp and second cook on a lower temp for more even doneness.
Last edited by BBcue-Z on Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:31 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Racer- Don't get frustrated there is no set ansewr, but by following the Hi then medium scheme you get there. I for one can't give you an exact temp or a time because for me each steak is an adventure. Unlike ribs, or brisket, ou butt, or turkey where there is a fixed temp for x ammount of time, each time I cook a steak is a little different. Its actually a joke in my family that when I say 5 minutes until dinner it actually means 10! So go with the flow, base you judgement on each times varriables. Through practice you'll get it down. And the practice is the fun part!

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:56 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I can't turn the burner down on my charcoal Weber, but.... I find that with a hot fire a 1 3/4 to 2 inch steak needs about 11 to 12 minutes a side for rare. Always remember that the thing will continue to cook after you take if off of the fire.

Grand, the rule in my house is at least a half an hour after I say its about ready. I bet we both suffer from trying to do to much to fancy come grilled meal times.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:47 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I like my steaks just little above medium. I always plan for 15 minutes per side. I sear them first on high for about 2 minutes per side, and then tone it down to medium, for roughly 12-13 minutes per side. It does a pretty good job.

If I have the time I will sear them on high for about 4-5 minutes and then indirectly cook them on the grill for about 45 minutes Talk about Tender!

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:57 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

ThrRoff wrote:
I can't turn the burner down on my charcoal Weber, but....

You can’t turn the burner down on a charcoal grill, but you can move the steak to a cooler zone. Remember Steve’s cooking zones for charcoal grills (BBQ USA page#22).

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:08 am
Airfoils well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
ThrRoff wrote:
I can't turn the burner down on my charcoal Weber, but....

You can’t turn the burner down on a charcoal grill, but you can move the steak to a cooler zone. Remember Steve’s cooking zones for charcoal grills (BBQ USA page#22).

Yep, always use heat zones and in this guys case he has a thermos with an adjustable grate height.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:31 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Every grill, gas or charcoal has different heatzones.

I find myself with a favorite place to grill veggies and such and one where I like to sear my meats. I never really noticed it until a friend came over and asked why I always put corn on the lower right and my steak in the middle on the left. lol

Return to General Discussion