Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rotisserie for gas or charcoal, which one

Rotisserie for gas or charcoal, which one

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

I have a Weber Silver B and a Weber 22 1/2 Kettle. I would like to buy a rotisserie attachment, and I'm trying to decide wether to get the one for the gas grill or the charcoal grill. Any suggestions or insights?

Thank you.

Chris

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:17 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

First you have to ask yourself which flavor do you prefer for the food you’re going to rotis?
When you use rotisserie on a gas grill, you usually have to use wood chips or chunks to give the meat a grill flavor. Usually (but not always), rotis cooking is an indirect way of grilling. And since gas grills rely on food drippings to generate smoke and flavor, you won’t get that kind of effect from rotis on gas. And that’s why you would have to use the wood. However, when you rotis on charcoal, you will get the grill flavor from it regardless of the method of cooking (direct or indirect). Of course, wood always adds another dimension of flavor to any type of cooking. In a perfect world, it would be best if you can find a kind of rotis that would work on both.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:25 pm
waterman raw
raw

I RECENTLY GOT A ROTIS FOR MY WEBER GOLD C GAS GRILL AND REALLY LIKE IT. IT WILL SOUND LIKE BLASPHEMY (SP?) TO SOME BUT THE MINISCULE TASTE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GAS AND CHARCOL IS NEGLIGABLE (LOOK AT BLIND TASTE TESTS) . THAT DIFFERENCE IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE DIFFERENCE IN EASE OF COOKING WITH GAS. ALTHOUGH GAS HAS SOME LIMITATIONS IN VERY LOW & SLOW APPLICATIONS... I KICKS BUT. GET THE ROTIS FOR THE GAS GRILL AND A SMOKER BOX AND YOU WONT REGRET IT.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:13 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I did not mean to start another Charcoal vs. Gas debate again. I have 2 gas grills, 1 gas smoker and only one charcoal grill/smoker and I like both kinds equally. I think there is a time and a place for everything. On a weeknight, there is nothing better than the convenient of a gas grill. On the weekend and special occasions, I like to slow down and have fun with some coals and wood. But one cannot ignore the fact that charcoal does add a unique flavor to food. And that does not mean that gas grills cannot be tweaked to achieve similar results (i.e. a smoke box…etc). As Steve said “get one of each if you can afford it”.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:52 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I'd go for one on the gas grill. For me, it's a little easier to regulate the heat with Gas.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:14 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I'd get it for the charcoal grill since when you start talking rotisseries, now you're starting to get serious about BBQ and outdoor cooking in general anyway and if you're going to take the time a rotisserie requires, don't you think you deserve to do it the right way over a REAL fire? Temp control isn't an issue at all. For a chicken, 1 chimney of coals will get you going with another 1/2 to full chimney about 40-50 minutes into it. Bottom vents open, top vent half closed. Cook till the chicken is about 180 in thickest part of the thigh (about 1:20). If the bird starts to get too dark, wrap it in foil. Try some injection marinades while you're at it.
Last edited by Airfoils on Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:19 am
Airfoils well done
well done

waterman wrote:
I RECENTLY GOT A ROTIS FOR MY WEBER GOLD C GAS GRILL AND REALLY LIKE IT. IT WILL SOUND LIKE BLASPHEMY (SP?) TO SOME BUT THE MINISCULE TASTE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GAS AND CHARCOL IS NEGLIGABLE (LOOK AT BLIND TASTE TESTS) . THAT DIFFERENCE IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE DIFFERENCE IN EASE OF COOKING WITH GAS. ALTHOUGH GAS HAS SOME LIMITATIONS IN VERY LOW & SLOW APPLICATIONS... I KICKS BUT. GET THE ROTIS FOR THE GAS GRILL AND A SMOKER BOX AND YOU WONT REGRET IT.

Good grief :roll:

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:36 am

I agree with airfoils. Get the rotis for the charcoal grill.That will give you more leisure time for the rest of the meal which you can prepare on the gas grill.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:34 pm

Preparation of the rest of the meal is something I wasn't even thinking about--good point.

It sounds like I will be happy with either, but I think I will go with the charcoal accessory. I do like to use charcoal when I have the time, and as was metioned rotisserie isn't going to be a quick meal anyway. Lastly, it sounds like working with one over charcoal is not overly complex.

I'm going to I have a couple of weeks before the purchase, so I will continue to check here to see if anyone else has comments or has encountered any problems.

Thank you everyone for your adivce and insights.

Chris

Return to General Discussion