Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Albemarle Steak Society

Albemarle Steak Society

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:51 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

I am one of four charter members of the Albemarle Steak Society. We grill every wednesday at midnight. Members rotate grilling by week, and this week happens to be mine. One of the stipulations is that your steak has to be better than last week's. I have to one-up ribeyes with a garlic sage rub that turned out incredibly succulent.

My plan is to grill bourbon marinated steaks over charcoal with hickory chunks. I have read on this board and some other sites that sugar marinated steaks may end up with a bitter taste from the sugar burning. All the bourbon recipes I have read include brown or refined sugar.

I don't want to risk a disappointment, has anyone used a similar recipe? Should I worry about the sugar burning? What cut of meat would you recommend with this recipe? Any other recommendations/advice?

Oh, and hello to everyone on the board, this is my first post. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Batty

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:25 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

There is a topic called, "Smoked Some Good Ribs", that may be of some help to you. Our friend Chagan has a response to the brown sugar issue that was asked about a rub used for ribs. It seems that his answer may also apply to steaks marinaded with brown sugar. Hope this helps, or perhaps someone else will answer. The Albemarle Steak Society really sounds interesting.

Pete

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:35 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I wouldn’t worry too much about the sugar burning if you’re using it in the marinade. The purpose of marinating meat is to tenderize it and make it more flavorful and juicy. When you use a liquid marinate, it’s usually made out of liquid with salt, sugar and acid. Please don’t confuse sauces with marinades. BBQ sauce and other thick sweet sauces will burn and cause problems. But when you using a liquid solution, the water crosses the cell membrane and drives the flavor into the meat. This process has no effect on the cooked surface. Sugars in rubs and sauces are the ones that burn and cause problems. If you want to use sugar in your rub, then use turbindo sugar. This raw sugar burns at much higher temp than regular sugar.
Good Luck.

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:46 pm

Very good info. I didn't know that about turbindo sugar. I just bought the BBQ Bible and Sauces Rubs and Marinades off of Half.com, I can't wait to try some of those recipes out!

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:15 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Great choice with the books you bought. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them. Good Luck!

Thanks BBcue-Z for clarifying, your information was helpful to me as well.

Pete

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:50 am
spfranz well done
well done

Here's a marinade that works well and gives a great flavor. I got chastised on alt.food.barbecue for using in on ribeyes but they were some of the best I've ever had. It's from a book called Cooking Fearlessly. The lime juice will somewhat "cook" the outside of the steak but they still seared up nicely for me. I marinated some thick ribeyes for about 10 hours.

Scott

Bock Beer Marinade

1 - 12 ounce can of dark bock beer
2 T minced garlic
2 T minced red onion
2 T Worcestershire sauce
4 shakes of Tabasco
juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 T course brown mustard
2 T olive oil
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:56 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I love the idea of the group you've formed! That's awesome. The only problem is that midnight on a weekday is way past my bedtime! But for steaks that good I may be able to push it. As time goes on you're going to have trouble topping the next week. Once you reach the best, how do you get better? Pick up a cpoy of "sauces rubs and marinades" it will help you for future weeks.

Also I speak for everybody in saying welcome aboard, and I for one expect updates as to what techniques you guys use week after week.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:22 am
hooohaa2 rare
rare

Thank you all for the great tips. I can't wait for wednesday to roll around. I will keep you posted on the latest creations. Yes, it does get hard to improve after a while, what happens is that someone will bomb on their week, so it doesn't necessarily get continually better. The bomber has to suffer the shame and scorn of his bad steaks until he redeems himself on a later week. It's a good system.

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:19 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Here is a good link to learn about when to use sugar on the grill.
Texas Grilling Magic™ has been developed over the last few years for those of you who are grilling at high temperatures or want to a barbecue spice that is free of sugar.

Sugars will begin to burn at temperature of about 325 degrees and can leave a bitter taste to foods you are cooking.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/magic.htm

While your there, the whole web page is pretty informative. I haven't tried their product yet. I'd love to hear from anyone who has.
Be sure to let us know how it goes this wednesday.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:54 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

The steak society is an absolutely GREAT idea!

I recently started my own grilling forum and have planned on putting something like that together. Where are you located?

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:38 am
Vinsect well done
well done

It is a great idea. Hopefully we'll here more from Hooohaa2. He mentioned that they have to constantly one-up each other and there's only so far you can go with that. Once you start flying in Kobe beef from Japan what else is left?
I think a fun way to keep it challenging would be to see who can redeem mediocre to poor quality meats too. "I dare you to take this piece of shoe leather and make it taste great."
I wonder how hard it would be to start up something like that.
A great group would of course have members who have preferences all the way from rare to well-done and all points in between. Having members ranging from pros to newbies would also be good.
I wonder if the Home Depot I work at would let me start something like this for "Grill Marketing Purposes"?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion