Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion plastic container = nonreactive??

plastic container = nonreactive??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:37 pm
PJay rare
rare

I plan on getting a couple of Rubbermaid/Tupperaware containers to do my marinading in. I was wondering if anyone else uses them and if I have to worry about the plastic absorbing any of the marinade itself.

I think it was in Steve's Rubs/Sauces book that he had listed plastic containers as being nonreactive, but I can't find exactly where it was I thought I read it.

Thanks.
PJay
There is no shame in failing - Only in not trying...

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:05 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Plastic containers are non-reactive but do tend to retain flavors and odors from contents they've contained. As long as you wash them well with hot soapy water or in a dishwasher they'll work fine. Other non-reactive containers good for marinating are glass casserole dishes and glass or stainless steel bowls. A heavy-duty zip lock bag or freezer bag also work well for marinating and are disposable. If you are concerned about the plastic containers, you could marinate in plastic bags and place them in the containers to protect against leaks. I had a bag leak once but fortunately it was in a bowl.

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:47 pm
PJay rare
rare

I'm leaning toward them because I can always snap on a lid to cover all the meat. I've never had good luck with glass bowls and plastic wrap over them and I'm too paranoid about having my marinade end up on the refrigerator shelf if I were to use ziploc bags. However, putting the ziploc bag inside the plastic container - now there's an idea!! :D

Thanks.
PJay
There is no shame in failing - Only in not trying...

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:59 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ve used Rubbermaid and Tupper ware to marinate meats for years now. I’ve never had any problems with them. If they develop any discoloration, just clean them with bleach and water. I have to admit though; the Ziploc bags are the easiest to work with. And the cleaning is a snap.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:07 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

http://www.rubbermaidproducts.com/Merch ... Containers

The Container Store carries some of these. They are made of Lexan and don't seem to absorb odors like other plastics.

I also have satisfactory results soaking plasticware in a strong solution of hot water and baking soda.

If you soak stuff in bleach it smells like bleach. Follow with the baking soda soak and it seems to remove that odor so you are left with a somewhat neutral scent.

Bleach does an outstanding job removing stains though.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:56 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've found a happy medium between rubbermain containers and ziplock bags. I try to use the "disposable" ziplock containers they sell at the grocery store. I find they work great. Seal the lid, stack em, whatever. When they get overtake by odor or abuse throw them away. I get quite a few uses out of each before I pitch them too. I love these things for tomato based leftovers. When they stain the container I just throw them out. Now that they've started making them in larger sizes they are great tools!

Return to General Discussion