Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cinco De Mayo

Cinco De Mayo

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:47 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

So I've decided to have a Cinco De Mayo party and am charged with creating the menu. What I do know I'll be making is:

Salsa
Guacomole
gazpacho served in peppers (recipe suggestions)
chips
Fajitas and fixins (chicken and skirt steak, MY seasonings MY way)
black beans
pinto beans
rice (not sure what direction here yet but have ideas yet suggestions welcome)
waboritas :D
mango sherbet topped w/ mango salsa on a sugary crisp tortilla

I figure I can make a majority of it ahead of time except the beans and rice.

I'd like some other ideas. What would you include in a Mexican feast? Presentation ideas would also be helpful

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:58 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Check out the "recipes for boston butt, shredded pork for burritos" thread. YardBurner and BBcue Z go into some awesome sounding pork burritos. Also look to Luke for some advise, he alwarys has a great Mexican flair to his recipes.

Maybe fire up your chili grill with some poppers.

Beyond that it looks like you've got everything very well under control!

I can't think of anything else to change or add!
Other than a seat for me :wink:

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:57 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is my Mexican rice recipe if you’d like to try it:
2 Cups of long grain rice
4 cups water or chicken stock
1/2 can of enchilada sauce (hot or mild depending on what you like)
1 small can of green-diced chili
1 small can of diced tomatoes-drained
1 small onion-diced
1/4 cup diced fresh bell pepper
1/2 cup fresh cilantro- chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp Taco seasoning
1/4 tsp granulated onions
4 tbs of olive oil
Corn kernels-optional
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a stockpot, and then add the onions and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper and add the Taco seasoning. Sauté the veggies until soft, and then add the rice. Keep stirring until the rice turns to light brown color (it will also give out a nutty aroma). Add the diced tomatoes, half of the chopped cilantro, and the diced green chili. Simmer for few minutes, and then add water or chicken stock (if using), enchilada sauce, cumin, granulated onions, and the corn (if using). Taste the water and adjust the seasoning as needed. Bring the mixture to boil, and then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook the rice mixture until the water almost evaporated (but not quit gone). Turn the heat off and keep the lid on the pot until the water totally absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork and add the remaining of the fresh chopped cilantro.
Enjoy with your favorite Mexican dishes.

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:22 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Grand,
That pork recipe can also be used for Tacos, Tamales, or enchiladas.

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:56 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Actually beans can be prepared ahead of time and hold or reheat quite well. I think they taste better the next day, like chili or soup do.

If you do a mexican or spanish rice in keeping with your theme the extra moisture provided by the other ingredients will help hold it for a longer time than just steamed white rice.

Either way and no matter what way you cook your rice, divide it into smaller serving dishes and bring out fresh rice as needed rather than having a large container sitting out and becoming dry. Another trick is to sprinkle rice that has dried out a bit with water, cover with foil tightly and reheat in 300 degree oven for a half hour or so. (I often use my smoker to do this after the main cooking has been completed.

By the way we all need directions. Or at least an address for MapQuest if we're gonna be there on time. But you didn't mention a time, did you?

Good luck!

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:56 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :wink: I'm not using the chile grill because mine only does a dozen and I'm not motivated to buy a 3 dozen model right now. Maybe sometime this summer I'll grab one but for now getting my backyard in shape for company is priority #1. I'll be starting with sanding down my 9' teak table and teaking oiling it which takes some amount of work. :roll:

Any presentation ideas? I'll be serving beans in small seasoned cast iron bowls, gaspazcho in hollowed out peppers and not sure about the fajitas right now. The mango sherbet will be served in a sugary tortilla 'bowl' with mango/papya salsa drizzled over it and some mint leaves to garnish or maybe I'll just save myself some work and serve it in a margarita glass. I might spring for some wooden plates for the fajitas since I've wanted those for awhile for steaks anyway. My New Year's resolution is to improve my presentation techniques, so I'm always on the lookout for that kind of stuff lately.

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:48 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For the fajita's try to find a 1/4 to 3/8 thick square or free form hunk of carbon steel plate (your local welder should be able to advise). Make it larger than you think you will need. Season it like a cast iron skillet and us"e it to serve a buffet style fajita. Heat it up and place it on a bed of oak split down to 1" X 12 or so slivers to act as a trivet on your table. If your table top is sensittive to heat place a layer of newspaper then a double layer of foil (shiney side up) and then your wood trivet. You can always use the wood to smoke next time.

Save us some!

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:30 am
Airfoils well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
For the fajita's try to find a 1/4 to 3/8 thick square or free form hunk of carbon steel plate (your local welder should be able to advise). Make it larger than you think you will need. Season it like a cast iron skillet and us"e it to serve a buffet style fajita. Heat it up and place it on a bed of oak split down to 1" X 12 or so slivers to act as a trivet on your table. If your table top is sensittive to heat place a layer of newspaper then a double layer of foil (shiney side up) and then your wood trivet. You can always use the wood to smoke next time.

Save us some!

Thanks for the idea but for the meat I use a cast iron griddle and a cast iron trivet. What I'm thinking about is plates.

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:35 pm
Bubba rare
rare

Airfoils - I have a great recipe for salsa that is fantastic and is really, really easy...let me know if you want it....

Bubba

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:18 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bubba - If he doesn't I do!

Rule of thumb for the board, always share. You never know who wants or may be looking for what.

Thanks!

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:44 am
Bubba rare
rare

Alright Grand Scale - I'll remember that....Just didn't want to post stuff without there being a need.

This is the most simple salsa recipe I have run across yet. It's very hard to screw up. It took me about 2 or 3 times to get it to fit MY personal taste But it tasted great everytime - I like to experiment.

Here's what you will need:
Whole tomatoes - Normally I use 2-3 decent sized tomatoes.
whole jalepano peppers - for my taste, 3-4 will do.
Garlic powder
Salt

Preheat your gas grill to 350 degrees

Place whole tomatoes and whole peppers on the grill and cook until the outside of both are blackened. Generally, it takes the tomatoes a bit longer to blacken than the peppers

When blackened to your liking, remove the stems from the tomatoes and peppers and place them in your blender.

Add salt to taste. Not big salt fan - so I don't use much.
Add garlic powder. I would suggest beginning with 1 teaspoon, then add from there to fit your desired taste.
Use the 'frappe' setting on your blender until it is the desired 'chunkiness'

Although I try to stay away from it, ff you prefer your salsa on the thin side you can add a bit of water until it is the desired consistency.

I prefer my salsa cold so I stick it in the fridge for about an hour or so.

Your good to go.

Return to General Discussion