Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Omaha Steaks

Omaha Steaks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:28 am

Hey there folks,

What is the overall consensus of the quality of meat from Omaha?

The prices are a little high but usally they seem to throw in free stuff so that makes it a llittle more attractive.

For example, yesterday in the email I got from them they had 4 FILET MIGNONS for 21.99 but they threw in 6 burgers and a cutting board for free.

The total with shipping came to about 30.00, of which I will have 5 meals for my wife and I.

What has been your experience with them?

Thanks,
David

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:15 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

David, We had a topic titled "Omaha Steaks - are they Worth it" and another topic titled "Meat from a truck" a while back. Go to the search function at the top of the page and type in "Omaha Steaks". Scroll down towards the bottom of the page, and you'll see the topics. This may give you some insight.

Pete
Last edited by hickory pete on Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:17 pm

hickory pete wrote:
David, We had a topic titled "Omaha Steaks are They Worth it" a while back". Go to the search function at the top of the page and type in "Omaha Steaks". Scroll down towards the bottom of the page, and you'll see the topic. This may give you some insight.

Pete

Thanks Pete I will.

Regards,
David

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:45 pm
PaulP well done
well done

David,

If at all possible, buy from a local butcher shop. The meat is as good or better, the prices are probably lower, and you support a local business.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:57 pm

PaulP wrote:
David,

If at all possible, buy from a local butcher shop. The meat is as good or better, the prices are probably lower, and you support a local business.

Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem with that is (at least here locally) butcher shops are going the way of the 5 and Dime. :(

About the only butcher shops near me are all in major chain grocery stores.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:45 pm
PJay rare
rare

David wrote:
About the only butcher shops near me are all in major chain grocery stores.

I've made friends with a few of the butchers in a few different grocery stores. I've found that if you give them a few days for an order, they are more than willing to help out. And depending on the quantity I'm buying, sometimes I get a better price. You may want to give it a shot.

HTH.
PJay
There is no shame in failing - Only in not trying...

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:39 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Hey,
Check with the old neighborhood grocry stores. We still have a couple and they are usually willing to help you find that special order.
Always a fan of the little guy.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:43 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I prefer my meat from a local place called The Fresh Market. I do buy from a few of the local Italian markets here in tampa though... the meat has always been good.

Every once in a blue moon I order from Omaha steaks(Generally when I send gifts to clients). I have always been happy with them.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Sharky! We have a great time here along with a few interesting debates. Hope you'll stick around and share the obsession.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:32 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks a lot Bob!
I do plan on sticking around quite a bit, I've only recently found this place, after I started my forum. It seems like there are some real BBQ pros here, and I'm glad I'll have a chance to pick everyones brain!

Return to General Discussion