Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Any sausage makers?

Any sausage makers?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:51 am
GrillGuy rare
rare

Haven't been on here for awhile, but i'm curious--are there any sausage makers here?
I've really been getting in to this lately...been buying about 2 boston butts a month--one for pulled pork, and one to make sausages with...and i generally am only cooking for 2. My favorites have always been bratwurst, andouille, and boudin....getting ready to start trying cold-smoking some others like summer sausage.
just wondering if anyone else is enjoying this as much as i am 8)

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:00 am
spfranz well done
well done

I dabble in sausage a little bit but haven't made any for a while now. Haven't gotten to the point where I feel like I'm good at it yet. However, I do have a great recipe for summer sausage without a casing that is really good. It's an interesting technique that uses plastic wrap for a casing until the meat becomes firm. The smoke is added after and it works quite well. You can find it, along with pictures, at http://www.spfranz.com/Q/summer_sausage.htm

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:01 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great site and awesome pictures Spfranz!
If you’d like to try a famous Turkish dish with the spiced Kebab mix and the pizza dough recipes, here is how:
Roll the dough as you would for pizza, and then spread the spiced Kebab mix thinly on top of it. Sprinkle with some pine nuts and grill as usual. The meat will be fully cooked when the dough is fully baked. Serve with tzatziki sauce.
I usually add 2-3 tbs of tomato paste to my spiced Kebab mix; it gives them a nice color and flavor (no matter what method their cooked). I hope you like it.

I really like your summer sausage idea; I’m going to try it soon.

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:38 am

That sounds really great BBcue-Z. I think I'll have to give that a whirl.

Scott

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:13 pm
hankgni medium-rare
medium-rare

Probably the best sausage making book out there is "SAUSAGE & PROCESSED MEAT FORMULATIONS" by Herbert W. Ockerman, Ph.D. He is a Professor of Animal Science at Ohio State University. This book has countless sausge formulations and different ingredients to use with each. formulation. The problem is in obtaining the book. You might try the campus book store or search for it on e-bay or one of the other websites. If you have any specific questions I'll see if I can be of help. Good Luck

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:47 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

hankgni welcome to the Barbecue Bible. Thanks for the tip! We hope you'll continue to hang around.

Return to General Discussion