Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Which book is best for the beginner?

Which book is best for the beginner?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:46 am
Thor raw
raw

I am kind of new to the barbecue experience. Some of my initial attempts at smoking were okay, but not spectacular. Which of Steven's books would be best for a novice that lacks confidence? Are there any pork or chicken recipes you can recommend that are both simple and delicious?

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:02 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'd start with "How to Grill" It offers something for all levels of experience. From almost handholding you through the basics to stuff that will blow your friends taste buds!

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:05 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the board. Stick around here long enough you'll learn lots! I know I did/do.
My suggestion would be to go with "How to Grill". It great for beginners and experts as well. It is still my favorite. I'd suggest you also buy it hardcover, when you use it a much as the gang around here does the paperback has been known to fall apart. Hit Amazon to find it quick and easy.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:28 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome Thor..I have to chime in with the others about "How To Grill". It is really a great book, including pictures to guide you. Good luck...

Pete

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy Thor! Welcome aboard. As you can see this was a "hands down" unanimous call. “How to Grill” is definitely the book you’re looking for. It has helped each one of us improve our grilling skills. The step-by-step photos are great and you’ll know what your meal is really supposed to look like when you’re done. It’s much more that a list of recipes in a book. There’s loads of helpful tips.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:20 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Also check out the page where the 3 different forums are listed. Click on "Testimonials". There is a lot of helpful info there, including many comments about the books.

Pete

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:38 pm
elmtx rare
rare

I also recommend "How to Grill" and have given it to several people as gifts because I love it so much! If you could just have one BBQ book that would be it IMHO.

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:10 pm
Bubba rare
rare

I ordered my copy of "How to Grill' yesterday. Cannot wait until it gets here....

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:55 pm
PJay rare
rare

Being a newbie myself, I would highly recommend How To Grill. I find the recipes there simple enough for a beginner such as myself.

Have fun!!
PJay
There is no shame in failing - Only in not trying...

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:56 am
Thor raw
raw

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback! My copy of How to Grill just arrived yesterday from Amazon. What a book! It will be hard to decide which recipe to work on first. :D

Return to General Discussion