Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Gas Grill Conversion

Gas Grill Conversion

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:56 am
Vinsect well done
well done

BBQue-Z made a post earier...

Any Gas Grill can be easily converted to a charcoal grill; all you need is a foil pan. This way you can have the best of both worlds. Let me know if you need an explanation on how to set it up.

I would like to learn how to do this. I know Char-Broil makes one that does both. I'd wondered if you could convert an existing one.
Thanks
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:56 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Vinsect,
This is how I convert my gas grill to charcoal:
**First and most Important: disconnect your gas tank and move it away from the grill**
1. Remove all the Lava rocks from the lower grate. If your grill dose not have a lower grate and uses some kind of heating plate, you can pick up one from Home Depot for about $12.
2. Get a heavy-duty foil pan (the biggest one you can fit in your grill). I usually go to party city and get the ones they use for catering. They’re deep and made to withstand flames. If you want to use the indirect method of grilling, then get two small foil pans. This way you can place one on either side of the food. Make two small holes on either side of the pan for air circulation.
3. Place a folded foil strip (the same length as the burner) on the lower grate directly above the burner for protection
4. Place the foil pan on the grate and fill with lighted charcoal. Place your cooking grates on top and grill as usual. If you want the charcoal to burn more efficiently, you can place a small grate elevated by 2 half bricks inside the foil pan. This will allow more air circulation around the coals (you can omit this step if you like).
I hope this helps. Let me know how it turned out.

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:38 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Or, if this bit of engineering becomes cumbersome, just buy yourself a Weber One Touch Gold and live in charcoal grilling freedom! :lol: 8) Just come clean with yourself and cease living in denial! You know you want a charcoal grill to build REAL fires in! :lol:

Nice read Z, I got more than a chuckle thinking about guys using their $600.00 gas grills as recepticles for foil pans/origami and charcoal :lol: Funny stuff but well thought out although I would stress elevating the charcoal so air can get underneath it as more than an option.

Hey G-unit...you back from Party City yet? :lol:

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:09 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I do have a smoker for grilling over real wood fire. Just thought it would be cool to be able to make my gas grill more versatile.

Also speaking of gas grill conversion.... Does anyone have experience converting a Propane grill to Natural Gas or vice versa?
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:01 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It can be done, by switching te orafice (sp?). I've had several done before grills were widely available as factory NG. I've always had a plumber do it for me as I don't want to blow myself up. I would too...don't laugh.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:18 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I'd love to get rid of my propane tanks and move to a more permanent Natural Gas setup! We don't have Gas in our house now, but we are thinking about it when we remodel our kitchen! That would be the ultimate setup for me:-)

BTW, I am going to buy a charcoal grill next week. I'll cook the same food with the same spices, one on Gas, the other on charcoal.

I'll put this to the ultimate taste test!
I won't tell people which is which.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:38 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Sharky that sounds like a fun idea. I haven't tried that yet. Let us know how it goes...I may have to do that with my smokers some day. :wink:

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:49 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I'll post pics as well:-)

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:26 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Sharky, if you really want to shake it up use a smoker box on the gas grill with the same type of wood as the smoker.
Looking forward to hearing how that goes.
BTW, not sure if I've welcomed you to the group yet. You're a great addition.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:57 am
chagan well done
well done

LOL Airfoils- you are TOO much :lol:

They should start up a support group called the Society of Charcoal And Wood Lovers (Supressed) or S.C.A.W.L.S.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:10 am
CharBQ raw
raw

We do this with our CharBQ product -- check us out at www.CharBQ.com. Thanks.

Return to General Discussion