Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How to get a hot fire

How to get a hot fire

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:31 pm
hotchef well done
well done

I have recently purchased a 221/2 Platinum Kettle grill from Weber and I love it. I use it every night I am off work. :D The only problem I am having is getting a fire that Steven defines as "high." I use a generic chimney starter with Cowboy lump charcoal. I don't know if I am leaving the coals too long in the starter or too short a time or what!

I am also having a problem with the lit lump charcoal falling through the grate of my grill, in turn losing part of my heat. Any suggestions?

I did get a super hot fire by placing unlit Kingsford briquettes on the grate, but the heat was unpredictable and took about 30 minutes after pouring the lump into the grill to get truly hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/img]

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:49 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

blackdog870 wrote:
hotchef,

I often will use two chimney's and I get a fire as hot as you want to get. That's just me, the other fellas may have better suggestions.

Blackdog

Yep, 2 chimneys for lump, 1 for Kingsford. Not sure about the difference in capacity between your 'generic' chimney and a Weber chimney. Excellent choice w/ the Platinum BTW. It's my main rig also. 8)

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:03 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome hotchef, thanks for coming to the board. As you can see the folks around here are willing to help. :D Hope this gets you going and you'll hang around for more!

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:41 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

smokey-bones wrote:
i have a large smoker,and i had the same problem.i use two charcoal starter full,i used one and the grill would not get hot enough.when i switched to two,the heat went right up,it took about 5 minutes when i dumped it in the grill,and the temp would rise quick.let the lump charcoal get red inside the starter,then dump.i have noticed that lump doesn't last very long,so you will have to make more in about an hour,if you are smoking!this weekend i will try adding some hardwood logs on top of the lump to see if i can get the fire to last longer.
this also helped with my little smoker i also have!

hope this helps
smokey-bones

Just use wood, briquets or a combo of the 2 when you're smoking. Lump is better suited to grilling IMHO.

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:54 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Hotchef, Welcome to the Board. As the others have implied it seems you may not be using enought charcoal. I have an old 22 1/2 Weber and I usually throw a couple of good handfuls of charcoal on the grate and cover those with the burning coals from the starter. I always get a good hot fire. Enjoy!!

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:14 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome, Hotchef...As you can see by the replies, there's a lot of good people here willing to help. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with the grill. :)

Pete

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:50 am

Hello there, welcome to the board. The Weber brand chimney will hold about 20-25% more coals than a generic one. I compared. And the guys are right, use two chimneys. I started my Weber to cook burgers before a ball game with two starters, one with lump char, one with dry hickory. This pegged my thermometer at 600. If you use two starters with lump, you'll get a hot fire. And blackdog is right on about closing up the vents till you get going to keep all coals in.
That bites, just realized I'm not logged in!
Craig

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:00 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Wow! I never thought I'd get that many responses. Thanks guys! I'm off work today so I'm indirect grilling a boston butt for some pulled pork for the first time (crossing fingers) and then some friends are coming over tonight and we're grilling some steaks. Fun day!

I'm going out to buy a second chimney starter today so I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

Can anyone tell me a reasonably priced barbeque mop online? There is no one in my area that offers one.

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:59 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

If you have a Garden Ridge in your area, they have all BBQ stuff on sale. I picked up 2 large chimneys for $9.99 each and a mop for $2.99.
Let us know how it turned out.
Good Luck
Here is couple of links:
http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/BBQ-Accessories.html

http://www.barbecue-store.com/mops-7055.htm

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:22 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

When in a hurry I've also substituted a bottle brush purchased at most grocery stores. It looks and acts just like a mop. Because it is...HA. Its designed purpose was for cleaning glasses and bottles but they've worked for me for BBQ.

Good Luck and Welcome aboard.
Enjoy the insanity!

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:11 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just be sure to get one with natural bristles and not nylon (they melt)

A new 3 or 4" natural bristle paint brush works pretty well also.

I take some heavy tie wire and lash it to a heavy paint stick.

'Course it's not like ANY of us has any hair left on their hands!

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:32 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I guess singed hair is another way to judge a hot fire... :lol:

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:44 pm
elmtx rare
rare

If you have coals falling through the fire grate, some people have added a second grate at 90degres to the first one to make smaller squares and a stronger grate. You can just wire them together to keep them that way. I think I'm going to do this myself, but I haven't yet.
- Erik

Next

Return to General Discussion