Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken Gyros

Chicken Gyros

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:10 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Chicken Gyros
Here is my latest experiment with Gyros.
Special Equipments: No Rotisserie Required
1 Large rotisserie basket- rectangular in shape- I like to use these baskets because they don’t have handles. They can be place directly on the grill or on a rotis. I got an 18-inch non-stick basket from BBQ Galore for about $20.
For the Marinade you’ll need:
2 cups plain yogurt
2 cloves of garlic finely minced
3 tbs of lemon juice
2 tbs of olive oil
Few strands of saffron soaked in some warm water
1/4 tsp of each cumin, all spice, ground coriander, granulated onion, and dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients:
3 lbs of boneless and skinless chicken breast
3 lbs of boneless and skinless chicken thighs
1 large onion
2 medium tomatoes
1 large bell pepper-seeded
3 medium zucchini or yellow squash- I like combo of both
2 sticks of butter-room temp
Herbs: fresh chives, parsley and oregano- chopped
3 tbs of olive oil
2 tbs of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Pound the chicken breasts and thigh until they’re about 1/8 of an inch thick. Make sure they’re as uniformed as possible so they can cook evenly.
Combine the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Mean while, slice the onions, zucchini into about 1/8 of an inch thickness. Brush the tomatoes, bell peppers, the onion and the zucchini slices with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Grill the veggies until they’re halfway cooked. Skin the tomatoes and bell peppers if you prefer. Set the veggies aside and allow to cool to room temp.
Whip the butter with the chopped herbs, lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Add garlic to the butter if you like a pronounced garlic flavor.
When ready to grill, assemble as follow:
Brush the grill basket with olive oil. Place the first layer of chicken breast and thighs inside the basket alternating breast and thigh with some overlapping. Brush the first layer with the herb butter and place some of the veggies on top. Repeat the process alternating one layer of chicken and one layer of veggies and brushing with butter in between until you end up with chicken on the top layer. Brush the top layer with the herb butter and sprinkle some spices and herbs if desire. Close the basket tightly and place in a deep dish and refrigerate while getting the grill ready.
When the grill is ready, place the remaining herb butter mixture in a pan and melt.
Keep the butter warm during grilling and use for basting. Place the basket on the grill over medium heat and gill with closed lid until the chicken is fully cooked. Make sure you turn the basket often to cook all sides evenly. Brush with herb butter every time you turn the basket.
When the chicken is fully cooked, allow to rest for few minutes. Open the basket and invert the chicken onto a serving platter. At this point it should come out as one piece. Slice the chicken in 1/4 of inch wide slices across the narrow end and all the way through the layers.
Serve with the traditional condiments and accompaniments.
Enjoy!

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:13 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Man Z I love the recipes you post. Really unique, Really good!
Thanks!

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:29 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
Man Z I love the recipes you post. Really unique, Really good!
Thanks!

I agree with that! BBcue-Z, you have a lot of great recipes...thanks for sharing with us.

Pete

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:55 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Don't know about the gyros right now but I'll be implementing that marinade. I love yogurt based marinades and this one looks to have some Mexican flair, albeit minus the chile powder which I think I may add in place of the allspice, maybe even some chipotle. Thanks for the idea!

Return to General Discussion