Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Thermometer Needed

Thermometer Needed

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:00 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I'm looking for a thermometer that I can install in my son-in-law's grill to monitor grill tewmp. Anyone have a source for one that doesn't cost as much as his cheapo grill?
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:13 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

I just ordered a polder dual sensor thermometer from eBay. You did say a cheapo thermometer. This may not be what your looking for, the again this may be exactly what you need but just don't know it yet.
1st of all, this type of thermometer doesn't install on the grill. You can use it in the kitchen too. Whenever your ready for a new grill, you can keep the thermometer and part ways with the old grill.
2'd Its digitally accurate.
3'd there are 2 temp sensors. You can simultaneously monitor the grill temp where the food is rather than way up against the hood interior. The second probe monitors the internal meat temp. If your aiming for a perfect medium rare, you can nail it the instant it hits medium rare and even set an alarm to notify you when it happens.
4'th There are alarms, timers, bells, and whistles.

The money you spend, you'll recoup in food that won't be ruined and cheap meats that you can learn to make seem more expensive. You may even find that old cheapo grill works better than you imagined.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:35 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The Wal-Mart's in our area have a smoker type themometer. Looks and works just like the $35. dollar one that came on my New Braunfels but they only cost $15.

At the end of the grilling season (say's they!!!) I picked up 4 of 'em for 6 bucks a piece.

Stuck one on the end at grate level and two more on the lid at grate level.[/url]

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:57 pm
chagan well done
well done

Good point YB, whatever thermometer you choose Paul, make sure tht you mount it at the grate level where the food is being cooked. You can mount it high up on the lid if you are interested in finding out at what temperature the air leaving you grill is- perhaps you are watching alot of the discovery channel and wish to perform some scientific experiments of our own, but for cooking purposes, that location is useless. I made that mistake myself and have found through other measurements that my thermometer is reading temps about 75 degrees higher than where the food is. I was wondering why my chicken never had a nice golden brown skin :cry:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:51 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Thanks folks. I bought one from the barbecue store.
PaulP

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:28 am
Vinsect well done
well done

What kind did you go with?
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:19 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I bought the Old Smokey from the Barbecue Store.
PaulP

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:43 am
Vinsect well done
well done

My Polder just came in the mail. I'm excited.
I thought one thing was odd though. When I 1st turned it on it was reading mid 80s for the room temp which felt more like in the 60's to me. Also its a dual probe model and I was getting different readings from the 2 sensors.
I boiled some water and it read 212 degrees on the nose and never went above it.
I've heard something about calibrating thermometers with icewater on the low end and boiling water on the high end. Anyone know of a way to calibrate this. On the back of the unit there is a little hole that looks like the kind of button you push in with a pin to reset PDAs and other electic gadgets. The instructions don't say anything about it though.
Also, are the probes dishwasher safe?
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:21 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Never read anything about calibration. I seem to recall on an early version of a probe style, can't swear if it was a Polder or not. recommending AGAINST dishwasher cleaning or even submerging.

They are not really that tough to clean. The probe itself is SS and the braided line once smoke stained is never going to look like new.

They have proven themselves to be kinda fragile. I really wish Polder would address this with a higher temp and sturdier version. I'd even buy them separately if it was available.

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:42 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I spray Goo-Gone BBQ cleaner on it (available at Home depot), and the smoke stain just runs off of it. I don’t even have to scrub it.

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:41 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I gotta get some of that!

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:09 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Thanks for the cleaning tips. I'll pick up some goo gone.
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion