Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Food Grade Drums ?

Food Grade Drums ?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:34 pm

So I have my Char - Griller, but I want something a lil bigger. The question I'm asking is does anyone know were I can get Food Grade 55gallon barrels off the net. I can not find any near me at all. Thanks for any help an advance.
Taste This.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:39 pm
russ austin medium-rare
medium-rare

I didnt know there was a difference. Wont the normal ones work?

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:41 pm
cmmull well done
well done

Supposedly, most drums used for chemicals and petroleums leave a toxic residue no matter how clean the are. I'm thinking that if they are pressure washed and fired with all vents open a few times, the toxins should be washed and cooked off......

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:42 pm

I've been told that you cant use any drums that have had motor oil, toxic sludge, chemicals, and the like. You need something that had corn, flour, ediable things in it only. I can find a whole bunch that have hand numerous no no's in them but none that have had food in them. Im not sure why you cant use just any ol drum but I guess it kinda makes sense.
Taste This.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:50 pm
russ austin medium-rare
medium-rare

try a feed store, or a shipping facility. maybe even a home improvement place, IE home depot

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:59 pm
jcharpentier well done
well done

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:34 pm
RibeyeRayRay medium-rare
medium-rare

Chipstealer1 wrote:
I've been told that you cant use any drums that have had motor oil, toxic sludge, chemicals, and the like. You need something that had corn, flour, ediable things in it only. I can find a whole bunch that have hand numerous no no's in them but none that have had food in them. Im not sure why you cant use just any ol drum but I guess it kinda makes sense.

Can you find one that has been used for industrial alcohol? Straight denatured alcohol can be cleaned out (beware of fumes), is non petroleum and harmless after a grill seasoning.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:49 pm

Thanks jcharpentier, Ive ordered some Drums from the fist link. I will begin construction when I get the Drums. I will try to post some pics when ever I finish this project. I still have to wait for some stove pipe Ive ordered to come in before Ive finished this project.
Taste This.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:21 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

Chipsteaealer1 mine's an old oil drum. All I did was burn the snot out of it by burning several fires before I started cooking in it.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:09 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I went to Bay Containers site and all I saw were plastic barrels.

Did I miss something?

-Rob
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:49 pm

LOL yeah there not plastic www.vogelzang.com

Return to General Discussion