Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Agentinian BBQ

Agentinian BBQ

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:12 pm
Zeke rare
rare

I just got back from a trip to Miami to visit an old friend who is from Argentina. At his house, he threw us an Argetinian barbecue - I was completely amazed at how good it was. (It also helped that his family owns a winery, and each time he served a new cut of meat - he served a different bottle of wine from his stock)

The thing that amazed me the most was that he only used SALT as a seasoning. I asked him if we'd be making a chmichurri, but he said that purists only use salt - as you don't want to detract from the flavor of the beef.

He cooked 5 kinds of meats for us: Flank Steak, Skirt Steak, Short Ribs, Chorizo and Blood Sausages. All of it was cooked over a very low fire and each meat had its own unique flavor. When each was paired with an accompanying wine - it was the most fantastic meal I've had in years.

I noticed that the cuts of meat he had were not ones that I've seen at my local butcher shop. The flanks and skirts were enormous, and the short ribs were cut thick. He told me he got them at an Argentinian butcher in Miami. I live just North of Boston, so I doubt there are any Argentinian butchers up here.

If there are any native Argentinians on this board (or anyone who excels in Argentinian cooking), could you please reply and let me know how I can obtain these cuts from my butcher? My butcher is always willing to do custom cuts, but I need to desribe what I want. I'd love to learn more about how beef is cut in South America - as I'd love to start cooking this style myself.

PS - if you're looking for a great Argentinian wine to go with beef, check out the Gran Vecco from the Jaure Winery

Cheers.
Zeke
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:51 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Zeke,
It sounds like you had a great time in Miami. You’re so right about Argentineans BBQ; they only use salt to season their meats. I was told the flavor comes strictly from the seasoned wood and the meat itself. I’ve eaten at many Argentinean and Brazilian restaurants and I love their style of cooking.
If you can’t find these cuts of meat at your butcher shop, try some Portuguese spatiality stores (I hear Boston has many of them). The Portuguese style of cooking had great influence on Argentinean and Brazilian cuisines. Otherwise, just describe to your butcher exactly what you saw, and I’m sure he’ll know what you’re looking for.
Let us know how it turned out.
Good Luck

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:23 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome Zeke...Your post was very interesting. It goes to show that a lot of the flavor comes from the preparation. I think that there are many people who believe that putting anything on meat other than a little salt just covers the true flavors. Hope to hear more about this, and hope that you enjoy it here. :)

Pete

Return to General Discussion