Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First Pulled Pork

First Pulled Pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:12 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

Made my first pulled pork today. One problem, never got to the point where it was pulled pork. I was following the directions in the "How to Grill" book. I guess I missed understood the directions. I was using my new cookmaster, and in reading the directions for smoking I understood it to say would take 6-8 hours. Recommended size was 5-7 LBS. I had 6 LBS. So I figured about 7-8 hours. Imagine my furstration when at 10 hours still not close to195. Plus not to mention my wife asking if I knew what I wasing doing. So I pulled it off saying the heck with it I'm done going to eat it as is and not planning on trying that again anytime soon. But much to my suprise when I cut it and tried it it was very good just not to pull apart point yet. Definitly encouraged me to try it again (smaller roast next time though).
I guess in rereading the recipe maybe it means 6-8 hours in addtion to the 4-6 hours in the recipe. Does that sound about right? But that wasn't how I read it. But will definitly try it again.
One additional note heat control was a breeze with this unit.

CubFanPete,
Stay tuned to the next saga of the Newbee

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:56 am
spfranz well done
well done

That is one point that I don't agree with Steven on (sorry Steve). His cooking time for briskets and pork shoulders are much less than I normally use to get to that temperature. The other thing that you'll find is that one 7 pound pork butt might take 12 hours, and the next at the same weight may take 16 hours to reach 190-195.

The other thing you may want to keep in mind is that you can keep a pork butt good for many hours by wrapping it in foil and then in a towel or two and putting it in a cooler. So next time, figure about 12 hours for your cook but start about 14-15 hours before you want to eat. It will keep in the cooler for 4-6 hours.

One final note, this stuff is just as good reheated the next day in a food saver bag or some other way of reheating that retains moisture. So, if nothing else, make it a day ahead of time.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:52 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

In the book, Steve showed us how to cook the pork on the grill and not in a smoker. The grill cooks at much higher temp than a smoker, so his time maybe accurate. Did you use a grill or a smoker? Boston butt dose take about 12 hrs (depending on the weight) when cooked in a smoker at low temp.
Next time if this happened (after several hours of smoking), just wrap the pork in foil, raise the temp of the smoker to about 300-350 degrees and the internal temp will rise much quicker. You won’t get the same results as the traditional way, but the pork will defiantly pull.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:49 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just goes to show the importance of grilling not being just a spectator sport. No two times at the grill are identical. Watch an take temps and go with the flow. Suggested times are just that...suggested.
I say this after I mayself ruined a batch of ribs yesterday. Still trying to figure out exactly what happened, but I know that if I'd payed closer attention they could have been great.

Who'd of though that you could turn babybacks into jerky!

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

CubFanPete you've got to give it another try. I had a bad experience with spatchcocked chicken and was ready to scratch that recipe off. But with much encouragement and advice from a great bunch of grillmeisters I gave it another try and enjoyed a terrific meal.

My last pork shoulder, a week ago, took 12-1/2 hours to reach 195 with the smoker at 225-250. I only opened the door once an hour to mop. All you have to do is monitor the internal temps and give it time.

BTW what was the temperature of your pork? smokey-bones was wanting to cook a shoulder for slicing.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:21 pm
dabookerman

I highly recommend the recipe in "How to Grill". I fixed this for my wife a couple weekends ago and she was wanting us to start a restaurant. Keep in mind that she went to college at NC State in the heart of NC pulled pork country!

All told, I think my nearly 5.5lb pork shoulder took about 5 total hours to cook. It took me a little while to get the vents right where I wanted them, and I also think the size of your grill might make a difference too.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:33 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

dabookerman your absolutley right, there were other factors involved, that I forgot to mention, that caused my time to be so long. I had a brisket and a whole turkey in the smoker along with the pork shoulder. Major over sight on my part. All that mass takes longer to cook.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:14 am
CubFanPete medium
medium

The temp got up to about 160. Oh don't gete me wrong I was alittle upset. But when I tasted what I did have It was very good anf am definitly going to try it again.

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:22 pm
Ronbo rare
rare

Pulled Pork takes patience! It is a favorite of my family and friends from my first attempt. The first time I smoked about a 6lb one on the 4th of July. I missed judged the time so I had to crank up the temp to get it to reach 200 degrees by dinner time. It smoked for about 15 hours. I use a Traeger Grill & the smoking temp is about 180 degrees. I use a meat thermometer that has a display outside of the grill, this way I don’t have to open the lid and let the heat out.

It has taken me awhile to be able to predict the smoking times for my grill. But I have it pretty much down now. The last one I did was for the Superbowl. I wanted the 15 pounder to be done at kickoff. I started it at 2:30pm Saturday afternoon & it hit the 200 mark shortly after kick-off. It was well worth the 25 hour wait (had to factor in the 35-40 degree weather).

Also if you watch the thermometer you will notice that it the temperature will plateau (mine usually does at 185). It will sit there for quite awhile before it starts to rise again.

So be patience and don’t give up!!!

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:35 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I normally start a pork butt 15-16 hours before meal time and usually have it on the smoker for about 12-14 hours at 225-250 degrees, mopping once an hour. You also want to plan some time for the butt to cool off so that you do not burn yourself while "pulling"

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:21 am

Cub Fan,
I am about to do my first pulled pork tomorrow, I have 7 pounds and was planning on doing it for 7hours, do you think I should do longer? How often did you replace the charcoal, how much did you add and did you use lump charcol or reguarl?

CubFanPete wrote:
Made my first pulled pork today. One problem, never got to the point where it was pulled pork. I was following the directions in the "How to Grill" book. I guess I missed understood the directions. I was using my new cookmaster, and in reading the directions for smoking I understood it to say would take 6-8 hours. Recommended size was 5-7 LBS. I had 6 LBS. So I figured about 7-8 hours. Imagine my furstration when at 10 hours still not close to195. Plus not to mention my wife asking if I knew what I wasing doing. So I pulled it off saying the heck with it I'm done going to eat it as is and not planning on trying that again anytime soon. But much to my suprise when I cut it and tried it it was very good just not to pull apart point yet. Definitly encouraged me to try it again (smaller roast next time though).
I guess in rereading the recipe maybe it means 6-8 hours in addtion to the 4-6 hours in the recipe. Does that sound about right? But that wasn't how I read it. But will definitly try it again.
One additional note heat control was a breeze with this unit.

CubFanPete,
Stay tuned to the next saga of the Newbee

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:15 am
dkirn well done
well done

Guest -

Double the time that you were planning - a 7lb pork butt will need 12-14 hours at 225-250 degrees to reach the internal temp of 195 which is needed to make it "pull"

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:10 am
CubFanPete medium
medium

I had a 6Lbs after 10 hours still wasn't done to 195. I would go with the suggestions here and figure 2 hours per pound.

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:49 pm
hotchef well done
well done

All this makes me feel so much better! I cooked a boston butt on Saturday and after 6 hours of good 325 degree heat, it still only hit about 178 degrees. It tasted wonderful but it's one of those things I want it to work the way it's supposed to. 8)

Question: I have a Weber 22.5 Platinum charcoal, which does not have a thermometer. The pork was the first thing that I cooked indirectly so it was the first time I had had to worry about monitoring a temperature. I put a Weber temperature gauge through the top vent of the lid. How true a reading do you think I got to the actual cooking temp. of the food?

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:00 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

hotchef just a guess, but I would say your gauge was reading between 50-75 degrees hotter that grate-level where the food was. If so then your pork was cooking around 250-275 which is about right (I cook it 225-250). Since the thermometer is off your cooking times may be longer than expected.

You may want to purchase a remote probe thermometer for indirect grilling as others have stated that it works well for them. Dual probe units can monitor both the meat and air temps right at the grate. Caution must be taken to protect the leads from exposure to the direct heat of the fire.

Return to General Discussion