Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Campfire Cafe - TV show & video

Campfire Cafe - TV show & video

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:53 am
Longmill well done
well done

Ran across this site with a focus on open fire cooking. They offer a video and episode DVD's. http://www.campfirecafe.com/generic181.html

Have you seen the show and/or the video/DVD's? What do you think of it? Is it a mininum technique and maximum recipes and sales pitch for their products? Don't get me wrong, I like new recipes and don't mind a little emphasis on products. My primary interest is in the how-to -- various methods, pit and equipment setup, etc.

FWIW, I'm in the planning stages for an open fire cooking spot in my backyard. Thus, the interest in the above. I've done some open fire cooking but would love to improve my existing skills and learn some new ones.

Appreciate your thoughts as you help me decide if I should order. Thanks in advance.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:05 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

LM we had a thread about the show a while back. I've never seen it :( but would like to see the DVD's. :D

http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=18574
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:27 am
Longmill well done
well done

Thanks, Bob. Appreciate the link you posted.

Sounds like the reviews are favorable.

Longmill
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:44 pm
Ghost_of_winter medium-well
medium-well

to be TOTALLY honest longmill I have watched the show and I don't find it the LEAST bit interesting. I think in about a dozen shows I have found maybe one recipe that I either hadn't already done or had, or that I liked. now keep in mind that this is just MY opinion so for what it's worth...(that and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee)

Guess it's all the camping and cooking out that I did when I was younger.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:21 am
Longmill well done
well done

Ghost, thanks for your reply. That's what I was afraid of.... just a rehash of the routine. That's the same problem that I'm encountering on the web. Have run a number of google searches in the last few days. Almost all of the promising sites turned out to have the same general info and recipes. That's what led me to pose the question here.

Thanks, again for your candor.
Longmill
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Longmill wrote:
Ghost, thanks for your reply. That's what I was afraid of.... just a rehash of the routine. That's the same problem that I'm encountering on the web. Have run a number of google searches in the last few days. Almost all of the promising sites turned out to have the same general info and recipes. That's what led me to pose the question here.

Thanks, again for your candor.
Longmill

Longmill,

I thought that the Campfire Cafe TV show had some pretty unique and different recipes? I know we never made any Ruben Meatloaf or Rack of Lamb when we camped. I guess that my family and friends are just your average campers and not quite the professionals that you guys are.
I would love to see what you all cook when you're camping I'm sure I could learn a thing or two.

exjockey51@yahoo.com

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:40 am
Longmill well done
well done

Welcome exjockey. How about taking a moment to register and join our group.

FWIW, I did buy the DVD mentioned above. While it didn't have the polish that a more professional production would have had, I did learn quite a bit from it. It was worth the money.

You should call me a novice when it comes to open fire cooking! I've done a little, but not enough to being anything close to being a "professional". :) Hope to improve on my status this year, BTW. When the weather gets a little more comfortable, planning to keep the home fires burning in the pit out back.

If you have any techniques, recipes, etc., please post. I'd enjoy reading them and seeing pix if you have them.

Longmill
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:43 pm
Mr_Jon well done
well done

My brothers and I go camping often in the nice weather(even in snow sometimes) and I usually do all of the cooking. My favorite way to cook food over a camp fire is to use a double boiler method. I would use two disposable aluminum pans. One would go inside the other with a bit of water in between. I've done stews, jambalaya, pot roasts, etc using this method and I've had really good success.
Being at home you could probably substitute regular pots and pans for the two aluminum pans.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:17 am
Longmill well done
well done

Double pans, double boiler. I like that idea!

Thanks.

Longmill
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:21 am
Mr_Jon well done
well done

You're welcome

A double pan/boiler helps keep the food from burning.

Return to General Discussion