Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Burgers With or Without The Hole

Burgers With or Without The Hole

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:28 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I have read about "Doughnut Burgers" in Steven's Beer-Can Chicken book, Pg. 204. Which way do you prepare your burgers...with or without the hole?

Pete

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:37 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I think the hole helps the burger cook more evenly. I use the same trick when making Falafel (fried chick pea patties). This allows the center to cook all the way through. I believe the doughnut people put the hole for that reason as well.

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:53 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Donut hole burgers keep the burger from shrinking into a ball like you see so many people do ending up with something that more closely resembles a meatballl than a burger (ick). Rather than poke holes in mine to avoid this, I simply make mine concave in the middle so they cook up evenly. I use a hamburger form from Tupperware to start with. I weigh out the meat and then put them in the form and press them into shape. This way I avoid overhandling the meat and my patties are uniform. After I remove the pattie from the form, I use my palm to press in the middle to make the patties concave. When you cook them, the shrinkage makes up for the concaveness resulting in a burger the same relative thickness and thus, doneness.

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:51 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

BBcue-Z, and Airfoils..I had never heard of holes in burgers until I read about them on another post, and reading about them. Actually I thought it was kind of a novelty thing. One day, my wife and I were at a Costco (we belong to Sam's Club), and I saw pre-formed burgers with the hole in them. I figured that I must have really been in the dark on this one. Everything you guys said makes a lot of sense. :)

Pete

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:58 am
spfranz well done
well done

The hole in the middle also helps keep the burger from getting fat in the middle while grilling so it keeps it's shape better.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:58 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I tried posting to this topic yesterday and my computer suffered a "Windows Protection Error". Pete, I recommend using the hole in larger burgers, especially "filled" ones. You can see pictures of burgers with holes on my link and see that they did not shrink up into a meatball. Others that I've done before these have. Give it a try and you'll agree! :D

Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:39 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Okay, Next time I grill burgers, they're going to have holes. Thanks..

Pete

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:05 am
Vinsect well done
well done

White Castle has holes in their patties too. It's not a central hole but a flat pattie resembling pegboard. I believe they even use a steam cooking proccess.
White Castles and Krystals may only be hamburgers in the acedemic sense. Theyre beef patties on buns (sort of). I call em "beef cookies" rather than hamburgers.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion