Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rare or Well Done?

Rare or Well Done?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:56 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Instead of raw and burnt I prefer mooing and dead!

Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:30 am
Janda_2426

I like mine medium to medium rare wife on the other hand has to have hers well done it doesn't seem to matter what cut of meat....rib-eye, tri-tip, filet migon are are personal favorites

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:38 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

I order and cook steaks medium rare, or rare sometimes. I dated a girl who loved steak well done. She also ate it with ketchup, whether it was filet mignon or whatever. This was a large part of the reason we broke up. Now I screen potential dates beforehand about their steak done-ness preference. I am not usually anal, but seeing ketchup on a filet is something I just can't take. I guess if you order a steak burnt, you have to cover it up with something, be it steak sauce, ketchup, or whatever, since it loses any flavor and juices.

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:15 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Hoooha2, Welcome to the board. This is a great place to share your ideas and to have a lot of your questions answered. Hope you enjoy it here. Wow! Ketchup on filet mignon...everyone has their preference.

Pete

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:21 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

For YEARS I ate my steaks well done! My father liked his that way, so I learned to eat it that way. Steak and heinz 57 was a steak dinner. We had T-bones, well done with Heinz 57. The same with Filet mignons. It all tasted the same to me. A cheapo steak or an expensive one,, I didn't care.

My wife always enjoyed her steaks Medium. So one night we went out to Charleys Steakhouse here in Tampa. She convinced me to take a bite of the steak without the sauce.... I loved it! It was still well done, mind you, but I still Loved it! Since that time I have learned to experiment while I cook, testing out new recipes and trying my steak cooked through to different levels of doneness. I never knew what I was missing out on!

I prefer my steaks a pinch over medium now, and wouldn't eat it any other way.... well, I do still eat it well done at my Dad's house as that's the only way he cooks em!

:-)

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:45 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Well Airfoils,
On your advice, I tried cooking some ribeys medium to medium well and they rocked!
That was good advice.
Is the general concept to cook lean meats rarer and well marbeled or fattier meats more well?
...uhh weller?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:29 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Ribeye is my favorite cut of meat. mainly because you can get it a little more well and it stays juicy. Certainly leaner meats need to be rare-medium to get the same juice and flavor out of em.

Or you can marinate them for a while and tenderize them that way!

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:29 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Hi Sharky..Welcome to the site. Glad you decided to join us here. Looks like you share the passion/obsession for grilling. Looking forward to reading of some of your experiences. :)

Pete

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:41 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks Pete!

Wait until football season! I love tailgating even more than grilling (Only when I grill while tailgating though!).

This year I have more friends in town who will go to the games with me, I'm going to try and set up some large tailgating parties at Bucs Stadium this year!

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:50 pm

I like my steaks Med-Well I like my meat cooked, not bloody. I do like a little pink in the middle.But I want my burgers cooked all the way through. And yes I am a guy.But my girlfriend likes her food the same way.
I'm not CraZy....The voices in my head tell me so..

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:31 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome X caliber94..I used to like burgers medium but with all the concern about undercooked meat, I grill them all the way through now. As far as the steaks go, It's all about what you prefer. Hope you enjoy it here.

Pete

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome aboard X_caliber94,

You and I like our steaks about the same. I cooked mine med to med-well this weekend. That's how my family & I like them.

Previous

Return to General Discussion