Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cleaning Porcelain

Cleaning Porcelain

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:55 pm

I have a Aussie Gas Grill with the Porcelain type of grill and I can't seem to keep it clean. I brush it after each use with a brass brush but I still have build up on my grill. Any solutions that any knows of that I can spray on and clean it off with?

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:06 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Try using some C.L.R.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:16 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Easy Off oven cleaner.

I had the need for this very thing last weekend when I smoked a pork butt in my water smoker. I broke rule #10 and paid the price. :oops: The meat turned out fine, but my water pan dried up and produced a thick, black crust from the drippings. I scrubbed with a green pad, but I still couldn't get it off completely. My wife shot the pan with the cleaner while I was at work the next day, and she saved the day. It worked like a charm because the water pan is porcelain.

Just remember to rinse thoroughly after cleaning. You don't want to cook with that nasty stuff.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:36 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I do the same thing with the oven cleaner.
Most ovens have porcelain-coated interiors. And the oven cleaners are designed to clean those surfaces. Just spray the stuff on and let it sit overnight, then rinse it well. You’ll be surprised with results. It’s also good on any part of the grill.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:56 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just be sure to rinse well and heat up the grill for 20 min. or so to burn off the remaining chemicals before putting food on the grill., Offset smokers as a rule don't need this harsh treatment. The temp's are not as high (hopefully) and the yuckies just wipe off with a nylon scrubbie and a little soapy water. Most grills generate enough heat to blast off most of the crud left behind form the last use.

On a Weber or other charcoal grill spread out the remaining embers, open all vents cover with the lid and let it cook away until cool enough to cover. Brush off the ash and chunks before firing it up the next time.

Gas grills while it's still hot crank it on high for 6 to 10 min. or so. Turn it off and leave it closed until it's cool enough to cover.

Either brush off the crusty stuff of wait until the next fireing and do it when the grill has reached temp.

Then oil the grates and grill away!

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:25 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I almost forgot to mention the most important thing about cleaning porcelin coated grates. they are coated not solid. Gentle brushing is the order of the day. NEVER, NEVER scrub them when they are hot! The coating softens when heated to grilling temps. Let them cool before brushing! If you have heated them enough most of the time all you will be removing is a coating of ash. Any over zealous scrubbing, especially with a steel or welding brush will scratch and wear away the coating exposing the metal underneath and it will rust much quicker than you think.[/u]

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:32 am
Vinsect well done
well done

If you have a self cleaning oven throw them in and bake the crud to ash.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:42 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This works well also but I think it removes the seasoning most grates get from being coated with cooking lubricant and rendered meat fat.

I save it for really crusty grates.

The trouble is that my oven isn't large enough for the 22 inch Weber grate

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:50 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I almost forgot to mention the most important thing about cleaning porcelin coated grates. they are coated not solid. Gentle brushing is the order of the day. NEVER, NEVER scrub them when they are hot! The coating softens when heated to grilling temps. Let them cool before brushing! If you have heated them enough most of the time all you will be removing is a coating of ash. Any over zealous scrubbing, especially with a steel or welding brush will scratch and wear away the coating exposing the metal underneath and it will rust much quicker than you think.[/u]

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:07 am
Airfoils well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
I do the same thing with the oven cleaner.
And the oven cleaners are designed to clean those surfaces.

I used to use oven cleaner too but boy what a stench and a mess. For heavy grime but it sounds to me he just needs something to wipe down with. On second reading, it looks like his actual cooking surface is what he's talking about, be sure to oil the surface before you cook and forget about the C.L.R. unless your talking about the outside. I'm a Weber guy so when you say porcelain I automatically think outside :?

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:39 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

For general everyday cleaning I use GOO-Gone BBQ cleaner. You can find it at any Home Depot store. It does not have a bad smell and it cleans pretty well. This cleaner works especially well on things that set inside the smoker for a long time (such as water pans). It dissolves that dark smoke film that builds up on the surface-almost instantly.

Return to General Discussion