Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion holland gas grills

holland gas grills

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:43 pm
silkman

has anyone used or bought a holland gas grill? wonder how the taste is with them since no flame touches the food.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:54 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy silkman,

There are two other threads in the forum that you can refer to;

"What Kind of Grill or Smoker Do YOU have?" on page 5

and

"Holland Grills"

Hopefully someone else will have some valuable input as I don't own this product.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:52 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I don’t have a Holland grill, but after reading about it last year, I experimented with my old gas grill. This is what I did to simulate the grill. I removed all the lava rocks off of the lower grate and place a heavy-duty foil cookie sheet on the grate. Then I placed few of the lava rocks on top of the foil sheet to weigh it down. Finally, I replaced the cooking grates and fired up the grill as usual. I cooked all types of food on that grill, the only thing I notices, was that the grill never got hot enough to sear a steak. And I also noticed that it was cooking a little slower than my open flame grill. This was not necessarily a bad thing. If you’re trying to slow cook something that was one way to do it (other than the indirect method). It did grill perfect hamburgers though and without any flare-ups.
This may not be scientific or an accurate experiment, but it allowed me to pick the open flame method over this. You’ll have to judge for yourself.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:20 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

My gas grill is a Holland. It is fantastic for indirect grilling. Never flames. As was stated, the only downfalls I have seen are:
1) Never gets hot enough to sear (which often translates to does not burn)
2) Because of the lower temps, things take a bit longer.
3) I have found the best way to smoke with it is to put a small pan with some burning charcoal in it and add soaked chips or chunks.

That being said, In almost 5 years, I still have never had a bad meal coming off the Holland and would buy one again.

Return to General Discussion