Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Kettle or Smokey Mountain, Please help

Weber Kettle or Smokey Mountain, Please help

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
schaefsn

I have a Genesis Gold C and I want to buy a charcoal grill to go along with it. I like the taste of charcoal, but I am often rushed so I like the ease of gas for daily cooking. I am not a barbecue guru yet, but I truly want to be, I can't wait to make ribs, turkey, butt, etc.

My question is whether I should buy a Weber 22.5 kettle and use the indirect method for things like ribs, briskets or butts, as well as normal cooking like steaks, burgers, fish or chicken, or whether I should go for the WSM and concentrate on 'cue and use the Gas for everything else. I am really torn and if I had the money I would buy both, but I am strapped and can only choose one for this year. If anyone has any thoughts or wants to give me some idea how to make this incredibly tough decision, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

I am really curious to know if you can turn out good smoked meats with a kettle or if it is worth it to really upgrade to the WSM and only do smoking?

Scott

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:43 pm
schaefsn rare
rare

Thanks in advance.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:46 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Look at what you cook most often.

Anything smoked...go with te WSM.
Anything cooking 250 or less would benefit from the WSM as well.
Asythng you want to grill with charcoal..the kettle is obviously your boy.

If it were me I'd go with the smoker and look into using a smoke box to boost the flavor out of your Gold C.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:08 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Greetings Scott and welcome to the board. You found a great place to improve your skills.

I’ll also have to suggest getting the WSM. If you wish to cook indirectly with a smoke box you have the Gold C which will work great. The WSM is a awesome smoker and you’ll crank out a lot of good Que. You may also want to checkout www.virtualweberbullet.com to see how versatile the WSM can be.

See you around!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:33 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I have an old Bar-B-Kettle 22 1/2", a Platinum 22 1/2" and a WSM. I'll concur the WSM is probably the way for you to go and in a pinch you can use it to grill as well, just sit the charcoal pan where the water pan usually goes or even on the rung above that. Remember thought hat the WSM has a grate of 18" so it won't grill as much as a 22 1/2" but when smoking that would be 18"x2. Tha said it is possible to smoke on a kettle, it's just harder to maintain lower temps then it is on the WSM. The WSM is great at maintaining low temps for Q, just be sure you always use the water pan. That brings me to another suggestion, as per Bob's reccomendation, the virtualbullet site is great and one of the best pieces of advice they give is to replace the Weber water pan with a Brinkman charcoal pan and use the Brinkman charcoal pan as your water pan since it has far greater capacity and won't require you refill it.

Most of all, congratulations for making a move from evil, evil gas! Forget about smoker boxes for your gas grill, the only way to get it right is with charcoal.

Return to General Discussion