Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rotisserie Grilling

Rotisserie Grilling

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:55 pm
Combustis Maximus well done
well done

Here's a few: http://bbq.about.com/cs/cookingtips/a/aa090499a.htm
Most recipes calling for indirect grilling can be adapted to the rotisserie. Have a ball. I did a chicken last night and it always comes out wonderful.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:29 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I agree. I have a kettle rotisserie and absolutely love it. You can basically adapt any indirect grilled recipe, marinade, rub. You don't usually need to mop or baste during cooking obviously as the meat is self basting. The beauty of rotisserie. I think you will find that almost any meat comes out more moist and evenly cooked.

Check out my previous thread about rotisserie cooking over direct coals http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... eye+roastr

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board abett! :D

Congrats on the new rotisserie. 8) One day I'll have one too.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:46 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I got one for my Chargriller and use it 3 night out of 5. Chicken is great, but try a Tri-Tip or a nice pork loin roast !!

I'm partial to the coals but if you have a 3-burner gas you can probably kill the middle burner and get a nice indirect heat from burners 1 and 3. For the last 15 minutes turn on the middle and brown whatever it is you are cooking.

I have had tender, juicy results every time ... I'm going to throw on a maple glazed pork loin in a few minutes right now ....

Cheers,

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:59 am
Longmill well done
well done

Do you have any pix of your CG setup? And/or, can you describe how you set up the fire to use the spit?

I have one from CG, but haven't used it yet. While waiting for the weather to cool off a bit, picking the brains of those who have used it. :wink:

TIA!
Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:35 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Ribs are absolutely fabulous on the rotis! Try the simple French styled ones Raichlen recommends, dressed only with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and herbs de provence. Yum!

Recently rotisseried a piece of meat purported to be a "Steamship Round" but it was only 3 lbs, so I don't know WHAT hte heck it was, but it made a delicious roast beef.

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:32 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Longmill wrote:
Do you have any pix of your CG setup? And/or, can you describe how you set up the fire to use the spit?

I never did figure out how to post pix on this board .. figured I need to get above rare.

Anyways I did figure a few tricks to grilling with the CG. For one, I take out the side adjusters, and just let the rack rest on the bottom. I cover the rack with a doubled-over sheet of heavy-duty foil. I don't bother with a drip pan (though it would probably help with chicken ..

For chicken, I put coals on either side (and try to finesse a few to the front and back with my wide's gardening tools. I find I need to wrap the wings in foil for most of the process, or they'll burn right away.

Pork loin I do similar to chicken. I usually use a maple, honey or hoisin glaze and they would burn to quickly without the indirect method.

For Tri-tip I put the coals directly under the meat and let 'er rip. I like my meat pretty rare, so it gets a nice crust and cooked till reddish-pink without much fuss.

There appear to be some knock-outs on the lid of the CG to accomodate the rotisserie rod, but I suspect they'd interfer with using it as a smoker, so I left them intact.

One REALLY cool trick I learned is that the little cast-iron dohickey CG gives you to take off the grates (which I do for rotisserie use) is PERFECT for propping up the lid just a little. I generally can maintain 250 degrees (based on the lid thermometer, so it's probably closer to 275 inside the grill.

I hope these tips are helpful. Everything I've done so far turned out tender and juicy and crispy ....

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:09 am
Argon medium
medium

Abett,
I don't know if you have the "How to Grill" book or not. There is a recipie for Mediterranean rub in there. Use that on a chicken, hook up the rotiss and start cookin. Should take anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour and 20 minutes depending. Go by the temp on thigh with a meat themometer. When it reads 165-170 it is ready to pull and everything you have read about how good it is is true! Seems better than the store bought rotiss chickens. I don't know if it is better or if it like tomatoes. The tomatoes that you grow in your garden are better than any other tomatoes in the world....................Argon

Turbo Elite 4 Burner
K-mart Special Meco Charcoal

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:11 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

phillyjazz everyone may post pictures to the board, even RARE & RAW. :wink:

If you would like to post pictures and need a hand let me know. :D Have you read the STICKY about posting pictures?

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:14 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
phillyjazz everyone may post pictures to the board, even RARE & RAW. :wink:

If you would like to post pictures and need a hand let me know. :D Have you read the STICKY about posting pictures?

Well, I waded through the one on Photography Q and A but nothing jumped right out as being a tutorial. I think this is what finally might have answered it ..

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:12 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Perfect! Now we can expect to see some pictures. :wink:

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:40 am
Longmill well done
well done

Thanks for the write up of your method. Appreciate the time you took to reply.

Looks like you've got the hang of posting pix. That one sure looks good!

Longmill
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:18 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Longmill wrote:
Thanks for the write up of your method. Appreciate the time you took to reply.

Looks like you've got the hang of posting pix. That one sure looks good!

Longmill

That was a Striped Bass bought fresh from the South Philly Italian Market. Just rubbed with olive oil, put some lemon wedges in the slits, and put her on the coals until fim. Sometimes simple is best.

I never did think of putting a nice fat hunk of fish on the rotisserie... I guess that's best for flesh with higher fat content so it self-bastes. Anyone ever try it ??

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:37 am
Longmill well done
well done

I'm guessing that it would fall apart as it gets done. However, it might work in a spit basket. ??

Longmill
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Next

Return to General Discussion