Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion If I only knew then...

If I only knew then...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:34 am
chagan well done
well done

I thought that this might be a good opportunity to share major things that we have learned along the way; and maybe some things that we would have done differently. For one, I would not have mounted my thermometer so high on my Weber kettle- The temp is off by at least 50 degrees as opposed to where the food sits.(I was wondering why my fire would go out every time I tried to maintain 220 degrees :evil: ) I have learned to compensate, and disregard the numbers and go by where the needle is pointing. Another thing is not to leave the top vents open for an extended period of time in the middle of winter. The moisture gets right in there and mixes with the ash to make quite a nice concrete like substance. I am using this new found material to shore up my foundation, however for grilling- not a pretty picture. I would have skipped wasting so much time looking around for a good basting brush, when no matter which one I try, I end up loosing bristles, and went straight for the natural bristle paint brush (new of course). Finally, I would have found the butcher at my now favorite store a long, long time ago. Jump right in and tell us what you have learned. :D

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:52 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Way back in the 80's when I got bitten by the BBQ bug, the biggest lesson I think I learned was the use of heat zones.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:33 pm
TOMP rare
rare

The money I would have saved on lighter fluid, had I known about chimney starters! Also the food taste much better.I also learned that lump charcoal is the way to go. A much hotter fire then briquets, A big plus when searing a good steak.

I,m sure more will come to me!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I second the lighter fluid lesson. As I stated before, I used to use a generous amount of lighter fluid for each start. I probably would have saved enough money for a Weber Summit Gold D.

Also I would have had a chili grill ages ago!!!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:21 pm

To marinade a day in advance, instead of while I was lighting the grill.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:31 pm
TOMP rare
rare

Another came to me. Patience and dont play w/ the food! How many times would I turn a steak over, thinking I was a grill king by doing so.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:36 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Forgot to log in................................

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:18 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's been almost a year since I found Steev's books and show. Those are the best things I've learned.

But perhaps best of all is you guys...

My wife is probably sick of hearing "the boys on the BBQ board suggest".

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:47 pm
chagan well done
well done

I agree Grand Scale, I just didn't want to get all mushy, :wink: You guys are the best, and even Airfoils has his good days. :D

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:05 pm
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Man, Chris that's harsh, I must defend my fellow Carolinian. Seriously, I wish this site with you guys on it had been around years ago. Woulda saved a lot of food!
Craig

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:38 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

:) Couldn’t have put it more eloquently.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:23 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

If I only knew: The big one for me is the chimney starter. I will always remember the look on the faces of a couple of guests that I wanted to impress with my grilling acumen as they watched the big chemical fire I used to light the grill. The second would be not messing the food when you put in on the grill. Let it sear and then its not (usually) stuck to the grill. I will also add, like the others, I wish I had found this site sooner.

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:59 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I have to agree with many here about this site. I have learned a lot from this site, and Steve's books. One of the best things for me was the explanation of how to make a smoke pouch to create smoke on a gas grill. That one really changed things over here. :)

Pete

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:48 am
chagan well done
well done

Oh yeah- this is a really good one- never, ever put match light charcoal in a chimney starter unless it's the 4th of July!

Next

Return to General Discussion