Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ newbe questions about bbq-ing a steak

BBQ newbe questions about bbq-ing a steak

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
ysr_racer raw
raw

Hi,

When I bbq a thick steak (1 & 1/2 inches thick) how do I get the inside to med. without burning the outside or having the steak dry out?

High heat? low heat? turn often? don't turn often?

I'm using a gas grill, thanks

brad

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:38 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Brad!

Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Arrange the steaks on the hot grate at a 45-degree angle to the bars of the grate. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium, rotating the steaks 60-degrees after 3 minutes to create an attractive crosshatch of grill marks. Turn the steak over only once during the cooking process. Again rotate the steaks 60-degrees after 3 minutes for a crosshatch of grill marks on the backside. Total cooking time is about 12 to 14 minutes depending on the heat of your grill and thickness of the steaks. One inch and thicker steaks may take 16+ to get to medium.

Here is a link to a 5 minute video clip of Steven grilling steak: http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2 ... /tip19.wmv

Steven’s books, “How to Grill” and “Barbecue Bible” both cover grilling steaks. HTG is full of step-by-step photos and is perfect for beginners. It comes highly recommended by nearly everyone on the board.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:20 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Hi Brad, Welcome to the board. I have to agree with Bob, including the information about Steve's books. In my opinion, The "How To Grill" book is the place to start. It's very well written and easy to follow. Good luck, and let us know how it's going. :)

Here is a link you may also want to look at. www.txbeef.org/ It's a site from the Texas Beef Council.

Pete

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'll buy the book this weekend.

Next question, how do I keep the steak from catching on fire?

Thanks again and let's eat :)

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:54 pm
chagan well done
well done

I agree with Bob and Pete except that I like to rotate my steaks 62 degrees. Which reminds me- I need a new grill protractor.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:33 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

64.5 degrees for me :lol: :lol:

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:43 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you get a flare up just move the steak to a different part of the grill. Flare ups are normal, this comes from the fat rendering. It expected and wanted. That charring is part of what makes grilled steaks soooo good. Some prefer whats known as pittsburg rare. Charred crispy(blck) on the outside red and juicy on the inside. Another think to look into is using flavorizer bars, many gas grills come withthese now but they are also available aftermarket for not alot of money (Lowes or Homedepot). They will help reduce flare ups. And last but not least grilling is not a spectator sport, things like steaks that cook relativitly quickly need attention. Get to know your grill, higher heat will cook quicker outside in, lower heat will slow that down. Have fun, you'll get it!

Good luck and Enjoy!

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:58 pm
chagan well done
well done

It is also pretty hard to actually Burn a steak and if it is thick enough, and cooked on high heat chances are slim that it will come out dry, unless it started out that way. Indeed- brown food tastes better. I think what Grand Scale was referring to was building a fire with different heat zones. In the case of a small grill perhaps only 2- hot and off. Ysr_racer, you stated that you are using a gas grill, so have a section of the grill where the burners are either off or down low. In this manner you have a place to move the steaks to in order to give them a rest while the flareups die down. With a charcoal grill you simply stack more charcoal on one side and decrease the amount as you go to the other side. In this manner you can have a sear zone, a hot zone, and a low zone. With this method you can move the food between the zones as needed and this will also allow you to cook different foods, with different heat requirements, at the same time. Good luck.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:16 pm

Man, you guys are great. I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks,

brad

Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:43 pm
ysr_racer raw
raw

I gave it a try last night and I used the recipe from the video. It turned out better.

I grilled the steak 8 minutes a side and it was med-rare, but not dry. I put it back on for 2 minutes a side and it was med.

I'm getting better, thanks

Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:58 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Brad -

Welcome to the board - your knowledge will grow with all of the info that gets shared here, and if you do not find the answer just ask we all like to give our two cents worth. Also congrats on the steak - the one tip that I can give about learning to get steaks to a certain degree of doneness is to use the same thickness of steaks. Most people will use the standard 1/2" - 3/4" thick steak that is in the grocery freezer, however I prefer to use atleast a 2" steak and I know the times it takes to cook that thickness to any degree of doneness.

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:09 am
CubFanPete medium
medium

I need a mirror under my grill so as I move my steak to a cooler area I can line up my cross hatch marks :lol:

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:49 pm
Bubba rare
rare

I picked up a 2 inch thick sirloin tonight from the Albertson's meat market and cooked it just as described in earlier posts and the video clip. It was - without a doubt - the best steak I have ever been able to cook. Absolutely perfect. I beg, plead and ask you all - if you have not prepared a steak in this manner - do so immediately. You will be rewarded!!!!!!

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:06 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Glad you enjoyed your steak!

I'm guessing that its now safe to say you'll stick around a while.

Enjoy the insanity!

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:06 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Way to go Bubba! I grilled a couple of steaks this weekend too and they were indeed wonderfulicious.
Last edited by Bob-BQN on Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to General Discussion