Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion weber gas grill and wood chips

weber gas grill and wood chips

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:02 pm

Posts: 12
Hello all,

As a reletive new comer to grilling I feel the need to ask what is probably a stupid question but I can't find the answer any place else.

I bought a Weber Genesis Silver late last summer and I love it. Being in Texas almost a week never goes by where I do not get to use it. In fact I've already gone through several tanks of propane in less then 6 months.

I''ve learned to cook ribs, steaks, burgers, pork chops, pork loins, etc on it. In fact I do more cooking these days then my wife. :D

But my question is this.....

Woodchips???

With a gas grill can I use them? If so, how?

And more importantly should I use them?

Thanks all.

David

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 12904
Location: Texas
Howdy David. Welcome to the barbecue board.

You’ve com to the right place and we don’t mind the questions. In fact we encourage them, as we are all learning together whatever our experience level.

Check out Weber’s accessory site: http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/acce ... sgear.aspx . They may have what you are looking for. Should you use the? Absolutely! Wood adds lots of flavor and color to foods on the grill. I, or should I say, most of us use wood chips or chunks most of the time.

If they don't have what you need you can always use wood chips in an aluminum foil pouch with holes poked in the top to allow the smoke to vent.

Hope to see you around!
Image

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:29 pm

Posts: 12
Bob-BQN wrote:
Howdy David. Welcome to the barbecue board.

You’ve com to the right place and we don’t mind the questions. In fact we encourage them, as we are all learning together whatever our experience level.

Check out Weber’s accessory site: http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/acce ... sgear.aspx . They may have what you are looking for. Should you use the? Absolutely! Wood adds lots of flavor and color to foods on the grill. I, or should I say, most of us use wood chips or chunks most of the time.

If they don't have what you need you can always use wood chips in an aluminum foil pouch with holes poked in the top to allow the smoke to vent.

Hope to see you around!


Thanks for the reply. I'll head up to my local Bbquesgalore store and see what I can find.

I've been lurking for several weeks but finally got around to posting today. I'm sure I'll have others.

Regards,
David

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:36 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Posts: 1063
Hi Dave!

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:37 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Posts: 403
Hi David, Welcome to the board. Bob's recommendation to use a foil pouch works really well for me. There is a topic called "smoke with a gas grill" that may have a lot of useful info for you. Also, Steven's book "How To Grill", pg.17 shows you with pictures how to make a smoke pouch. Hope this helps you.

Pete

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:49 am
Guest

hickory pete wrote:
Hi David, Welcome to the board. Bob's recommendation to use a foil pouch works really well for me. There is a topic called "smoke with a gas grill" that may have a lot of useful info for you. Also, Steven's book "How To Grill", pg.17 shows you with pictures how to make a smoke pouch. Hope this helps you.

Pete


Thanks Pete.

I have that book, I must have just overlooked that part. :oops:

Regards,
David

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:39 pm
chagan well done
well done

Posts: 1350
Location: Central NJ by way of NY
Hi Dave, remember, when using wood chips or chunks on a gas grill to put the pouch or smoker box right next to one of the burners and crank the heat up until a good amount of smoke begins. Then you can lower the grill to the desired cooking temperature and put your items on. Welcome to the board!
Image

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:42 pm

Posts: 12
chagan wrote:
Hi Dave, remember, when using wood chips or chunks on a gas grill to put the pouch or smoker box right next to one of the burners and crank the heat up until a good amount of smoke begins. Then you can lower the grill to the desired cooking temperature and put your items on. Welcome to the board!


Thanks. for the tip.

With them wrapped in a pouch what's the chances of a flare up?

That is one thing I"m always leary of is a good size flare up.

Becuase of the way my house is I have to have my grill on my covered patio. While it is a good size patio with about a 20ft ceiling it is something that is always in the back of my mind.

This spring I'm thinking about making some stepping stones come up the patio 5-10 feet but until then I'm pretty much stuck.

David

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:52 pm
chagan well done
well done

Posts: 1350
Location: Central NJ by way of NY
Minimum to none, with the pouch, you just have a few pin holes to allow the smoke to leave the pouch. There really isn't enough oxygen flow for a confligration to occur. The pouch should only be the size of your fist, more or less. If you want to further avoid flareups, use chunks. When using chips soak them in water, beer, apple juice, etc. for an hour before hand. With chunks- there really is no need to soak (just make sure most of the bark is off the piece- bark tends to impart a bitter taste). Cheers.
Image

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue


Return to General Discussion