Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion natural gas or propane

natural gas or propane

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:14 pm
papaduck raw
raw

anybody out there prefer natural gas over propane ?
thanks
papaduck
larry roberts

Post Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:48 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

papaduck wrote:
anybody out there prefer natural gas over propane ?
thanks
papaduck

Papaduck, Welcome to the board. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic in the past. There's a wide variation of opinions on charcoal, natual gas, and propane. I think that it all comes down to your preference. Someone had mentioned on another post to make sure of what you want before you spend a ton of money and regret it later. Try using the search function on this site (at the top of the page), and you'll find a lot of information to assist you. Let us know what you decide..

Pete

Post Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Personally, I think you should be debating hickory or oak :D

Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:40 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

:lol: Natural if you can get it.............hickory or oak is.........well it depends on what you are smoking and mostly what wood you can get.

Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:21 am
Airfoils well done
well done

ThrRoff wrote:
:lol: Natural if you can get it.............hickory or oak is.........well it depends on what you are smoking and mostly what wood you can get.

What are YOU smokin? :P

Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:00 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Apple I guess. I used some last night in the grill for some tuna steaks. At about 3 minuts a side for nice and rare, there wasn't much time to get any smoke taste. :lol:

Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:02 pm
dkirn well done
well done

OK - so I am surprised that Grand Scale has not responded to this yet, but I would suggest natural gas to anyone who has a gas grill (notice I am not picking on you charcoal guys). The ease of not having to worry about a propane tank going empty during a cooking session is well worth it. The other thing is that you can generate a much hotter grill with natural gas than with propane - I can get my natural gas grill up to about 800 degrees, whereas my old propane grill would only get up to about 350 degrees.

Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:09 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dave you beat me to it. I was out enjoying the nice weather.

Papaduck - Go with what Dkirn said.

Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:25 pm
chagan well done
well done

Natural Gas- definitely. Although I have heard that oil heat has come a long way, I still think that it leaves a somewhat greasy film on the furniture over time. Oh, wait, your talking about.......................................

Charcoal- definitely.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:12 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Chris, thought of you when I read this...don't know why.

http://www.cbbqa.com/articles/Gas.html

Cooking with gas: Opinion

Counterpoint

By Bill Wight, cbbqa member
December 10, 2002
I know two serious cbbqa barbecuers who recently purchased Ole Hickory restaurant style smokers. These gas/wood smokers are used in many barbecue restaurants across the USA. I too was skeptical of using gas for the heat source as does the Ole Hickory. However, the proof is in the tasting and I've had barbecue out of both of these Ole Hickory smokers that used propane for the heat source and chunks of hickory or oak for the flavor. As a competition barbecue cook, and a KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge, I have to say that the barbecue from these smokers was some of the very best I've ever had. So like all things in life, there is no hard answer on the use gas and wood in a barbecue pit.

:D

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:55 pm
chagan well done
well done

And I shall retort:

http://www.heb.com/mealtime/CT-brisketTerms.jsp

Barbecue - The origin of the word traces back to a framework of green sticks used by Indians of the Caribbean to cook game and fish. The Spanish explorers, drawing upon Taino, an Amerindian language, called the framework a barbacoa. The U.S. Department of Agriculture defines barbecue as meat cooked by the direct action of dry heat created from the burning of hardwood or hot coals until a brown crust is formed.

Oooooh, this oughta really get the dabate going :lol:

So if one is not using burning hardwood or hot coals, they are, by definition, not barbecuing..... :wink:

Friends, I am not really a fanatic about this. The Taino people did not have propane or natural gas to use whilst cooking- so therefore the question is mute. But we must ask ourselves, if, in fact they did, would they have used it? I love the great debate!

The fact of the matter is that the final product can be no better than the sum of the ingredients- therefore, get yourself some good meat, some good spices, some good drink, surround yourself with some good friends and some good music, and the outcome is sure to be a success- heat source would be a matter of preference.
Cheers!

PS Bob, I just viewed your pics, I don't know how they got by me before. All I can say is - VERY impressive! You are quite the Spatchcocker!
It gives me a warm and fuzzy to know that you are thinking about me :oops:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:44 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

A relative novice chimes in again. In this debate I think we need to draw a distinction between grilling - that to me is cooking something directly over a high heat and barbeque – to me that am smoking something for a long period of time with low heat. The person asking the question didn’t specify. Gas, particularly natural, is quite acceptable for grilling. Maybe a gas fired commercial smoker will work for some, but give me that nice oak or hickory fire any day for real BBQ.

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:47 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Since the Nat Gas or Propane discussion is turning into gas vs wood, I use wood and propane.
Real wood obviously has the best flavor. That's not even up for debate, right? Its a provable scientific fact.The benefit of gas is convenience and quick temp control. Someone who only has a charcoal grill or a smoker probably wont grill as often as someone who has a gas grill. (I'm not talking about you guys, just people in general)
Like I said, I have both. My gas grill doesn't compete with my smoker. It competes with my microwave. Try using the gas grill to reheat leftovers instead of the microwave. In many cases, your food will be better the second time around.

Anybody here fans of King of the Hill? Its a cartoon by the creators of Beavis and Butthead. The star of the show is Hank Hill who sells propane and propane accessories for a living in Arlen Texas. Hank is dedicated to propane and then some. In one of the best episodes Hank has to go out of town and while he's gone his wife Peggy and son Bobby accidentally discover burgers cooked over charcoal at a neighbors barbecue. They become instant converts to charcoal and start using charcoal behind Hanks back like teenagers smoking cigarettes behind their parents back. Hank Hill may very well be one of my role models but if I were his son Bobby, I'd sneak a steak over charcoal while he wasn't home too.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion